1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Backpack Sprayer 4gal.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by blake101, Oct 16, 2011.

1. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

Be a man. :laugh:

I'm betting similar weight to that fully loaded 4.5 gallon Shindi model you mentioned.
    Most likely similar weight to those that are powered by a small 2 cycle engine.

I like my battery powered unit. I'll keep using it and plan on buying another one for 2012.
  2. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Wasn't criticizing your choice, if I'm going to carry the weight, it may as well be productive weight...

Go for it Rambo :drinkup:
  3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Ruh, roh, the backpack sprayer debate has started again. My normal backpack is heavy as all get out. The weight does not bother me because I do not have to pump it. I cannot imagine something lighter spraying a 20 ft tall tree or spraying a 5,000 sq ft lawn in under 10 minutes, much less maintain 150 PSI at the wand while applying 1 GPM.
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I use and like the Shurflo Electric 4 gallon.
    However I do not like lugging a full 4 gallon load. I usually mix 3 or less at one time, otherwise it kills your shoulders.
  5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Agreed, lighter units are not made for that kind of work. I don't want to be in the middle of a debate either. Just curious. How much liquid do you run through your backpack in a typical week. 50...100.gals? A little more than that?...Alot more than that? I'm telling you, if I had to spray even 50 gal/wk consistently through a backpack, hand pump action would be the first thing to go. We merely spot spray with ours and still feel like we do plenty of that. Weight is not an issue. there are 3 of us working. One is a professional firefighter. I was for 10 yrs and the other guy is an athlete/coach.

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Iam with DA i only mix 3 gals or less but i am not out there blanking yards with my back packs either.

Just spotting weeds

I have a couple stihl sprayer they do a good job.

Charles Cue
  7. gebby

gebby LawnSite Senior Member

I got 2 Stihls. They do the job for me. One for Gly only and the other for turf only. Very well built. Never had a problem with either. 2 years on one and 6 months on the other. On avaerage about 20 gals week each. If I would have a problem, I like the thought of taking to my dealer for repair and or parts. I hate throw away items as there is no value in that.
  8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

On average, no less than 100 gallons per week. I think 50 or so gallons per day is normal for me. Especially if I have to do lots of shrub and ornamental work. On a busy day it can be 100 gallons in one day. Unfortunately I was never an athlete and I do not think I would make the requirements to be in the FD, but I manage.