1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Backpack Sprayer from Home Depot???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by EagleLandscape, Jun 1, 2004.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Anyone know anything about the RoundUp brand backpack sprayer from Home Depot. They've got them onsale right now. Are these things pieces of junk. I've just got those little 3 gallon ones you tote around, but I've got to kill over 1000 sq ft of bermuda in my side yard so I can lay down st augustine next week.

I don't know about dropping money on a Lesco one, how much are those anyways?

Thanks.

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

A little 3 gallon one is enough to kill 1000 sq ft of bermuda.....easy. How many gallons is the one at home depot and how much does it cost?

3. cincymower

cincymower LawnSite Member

I'll never buy another round-up brand sprayer. I went through three of the $20 2-gallon ones last year, none lasted more than a month before the nozzle got screwed up. I bought a metal hudson this spring, so far so good.

4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Get the Solo 4 gallon sprayer, I had one last me over ten years, actually, still have it, but it needs repair. Just bought the 425D Solo and love it. The "D" is for Deluxe, don't think this link is for the D, but you can shop around on google and find it at a good price.

http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/A57724.htm

5. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a Round Up brand sprayer last year. Didn't last too long. It was a 4 gallon backpack and I think I paid 70 for it. It was hard finding replacement parts for it. It is made by Monsanto. I now have 2 solo backpack sprayers and they have held up. I can get replacement parts for these at the local lesco store. I also just purchased a Echo backpack sprayer. In my opinion it is built much better than the solo and was very comparable in price.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, personally I never had any luck with the Hudson sprayers. The pumps always go bad on me. I bought a 2 gallon Round Up sprayer early last year. It has lasted for me despite the fact I have really mistreated it. A few days ago it started this stupid thing with the nozzle. For some odd reason it does not want to stop spraying immediately after I let off. But it only does this when the tank pressure is low?

I dunno. I've been considering Echo, Solo and ShurFlo backpacks.
    But I was kinda unsure if any of them were worth a hoot.

7. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

spend the money and get a good lesco.solo backpack. lesco has all the parts to rebuild. I rebuild our sprayers when needed, and have some over 6 years old now.

8. EagleLandscape

how much do they run?

9. EagleLandscape

The 425 has a piston pump, and the 475 has a diaphragm pump. I know diaphragms can wear on out sprinkler valves... so is the 425 better then?

10. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 2 lesco backpack sprayers. They run about $90. Made by solo (I assume, it's the exact same sprayer).