1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Backpack sprayer:SOLO or FieldKing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RyanCanMow, Mar 20, 2001.

1. RyanCanMow

RyanCanMow LawnSite Member

I need something to control weeds in many of our clients' flowerbeds. I think roundup will work best, because it takes so long to manually remove all the weeds. What kind of backpack sprayer should I get? I looked at a SOLO that came with 3 nozzle options and it had a 4 gallon capacity, a plastic wand, no agitator, and a piston pump. It was $96.25. Is that a good sprayer for the money? I also found a FieldKing for about the same price, but it had a brass wand, only one nozzle, and it had an agitator that would allow for some wettable powder applications. Thanks, have a great day!
  2. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

I use the SOLO $83.00,no complaints so far, does a good job. Have heard good things about Field King also, either one will be good.
  3. igm

igm LawnSite Member

I'd look into SP, Shindaiwa, many others. While the Solo, is OK for the money, I wish I'd bought an SP or some other. Something with a wider mouth, a handle on top of the fill cap, a wand holder on top maybe. I've found the Solo a bit Awkward and poorly balanced, and the wand holders on the fold up handle get snapped off pretty easily, plus the strap clips always fall off. Actually, the more I think about it the less I like my Solos. They spray OK, but make sure you get the check valve for the tip, or else it will drip all the time. I think the SP has most of the features I mentioned.

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Field King myself and am happy with it. I have a pal that likes the Solo better than the FK. Most of these tanks are built by the same co. If you keep it clean all should give you good service, just be sure not to leave water in it over the winter like I did, when it froze it almost ruined it.
  5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Solo is in the shop up on a shelf

Lesco is on the truck ....
  6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I like the SP better, has 2 places to secure the nozzle and does not leak!! Every Solo I've used leaks and the nozzle just hangs there unless you make a holder, it's 2001, you think they would spend $.05 cents on a plastic clip to hold the nozzle and protect it from damage!

7. I'm a big fan of the commercial grade shindawa sprayers. Decent size padded shoulder pad, narrow width, but a good opening for mixing your sprays with water. Handle folds up and out of the way, back side has two clips to to attach your wand after spraying.

I still use solo b.p. sprayers, but next new tank will be another shindawa.