1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Backpack Sprayer - SP0 or SP2?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Advance The Man, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

I'm a homeowner and considering two backpack sprayers. I will be utilizing it for roundup in landscape beds and for spraying weeds in St Augustine grass (not roundup).

Questions, what is the difference between triple function diaphragm pump (SP0) and "no leak" piston pump sprayer (SP2)? Which should I choose?

SP0 -

SP2 -
  2. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

i'll let someone elso answer which one, but i will say this, have a dedicated sprayer for roundup, you never want to use a spray rig that had roundup for something else!
  3. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

unless you clean it out.
  4. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

i doubt the typical homeowner has a safe place to triple wash his backpack out!
  5. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto on having 2 sprayers, There not that expensive. Our Solo spayer has been alright (piston pump). We recently replaced it with the new Sthil and like it alot more.
  6. Advance The Man

Ended up buying the SP0 and will be using it this weekend. Got it for $130 shipped and goofed off with it with only water in it. I was hoping to clean it out for multiple uses, but yes I am very leary of trying this due to ruining any of my landscape b/c I had used roundup previously. It worked flawlessly on my test run. I am glad I returned the 'commercial' grade one I bought at Home Depot.

When you say 'triple wash', do you mean you simply rinse it out three times? If that is what it takes for the residue of roundup to get out I'm willing to do that. Would rather not have two backpack sprayers. Way overkill for my homeowner needs.

7. johnap104

johnap104 LawnSite Member

I just purchased the SPO about two weeks ago. I am using it for pesticides. I was told to purchase the SPO if using powder based supstances. If you use powders in the other unit, it can clog up the system. I was told this buy a dealer.
  8. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

Correct that is why they make two kinds of sprayers. the piston would have problems with things like Image, Drive etc.
  9. johnap104

johnap104 LawnSite Member

I long as your not dispensing powder type chemicals the SP2 should be fine for you. They are both quality made sprayers. You may want to check ebay. I purchase mine from there and paid $143
  10. Advance The Man

The SP0 is a piston, are you saying Image (liquid base) cannot be used in it?