1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Backpack Sprayer

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by rpearlberg, Aug 6, 2012.

1. rpearlberg

rpearlberg LawnSite Member

I'm looking for a backpack sprayer for my yard (mainly to kill the whole yard so I can start over). I'd like to stay around $75 or under...

Any suggestions?

2. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Lowe's sells a Roundup brand 4 Gal backpack piston pump for $65. I have one that I use to spray glyphosate.
    I think I paid $70 for my Lesco 4 gallon piston pump backpack from JDL (John Deere Landscapes)

3. rpearlberg

4. tdr6874

tdr6874 LawnSite Member

bump up to $100 range and you will have one for years and be able to service it, rather than a disposable one....look at solo sprayers if you open your wallet a bit more...they can do much more if you get the right one...all sprayers are not the same, chemicals like chlorine will kill many or acids will too...some have aggitators in them and allow you to use powders instead of liquid only....but for the money i say solo are the best.

5. rpearlberg

So which solo should I get? Again this is mainly for roundup to kill weeds...
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. macgyver_GA

If you're just spraying round up, I'd just go with the Round-up brand one from Lowes for $65. It's the cheapest I've seen. It works fine for spraying glyphosate and comes with multiple tips if needed.

7. tdr6874

tdr6874 LawnSite Member

Let us know how the round up one is working in a few years. I bought 2 of those before I got the king backpack sprayer "spo-v" and have sprayed everything through that one with no issues at all. It's been said buy cheap...buy often, buy quality....and buy it once.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. macgyver_GA

I understand that concept. However, for his case, It sounds like he just needs it to kill off his personal yard to re-do the yard. No reason to spend a bunch of money when he's not going to use it as often as we professionals would.

I bought one of them to spot spray glyphosate. I use my other backpack sprayer to spray the rest of the chemicals through.

9. rpearlberg

After doing a little more searching, I think I'll go with the Chapin 61900 over the Solo. Better reviews and cheaper...

Thoughts?

10. S&M Landscapes

S&M Landscapes LawnSite Member

I like the stihls personally, all my solos leak.
    Posted via Mobile Device