Backpack Sprayers only?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenHor7, Mar 11, 2007.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

Do you guys recommend using backback sprayers to start out. I only have a few lawns right now and i am trying to save myself some cost. Most of my lawns are about 30k. I will be doing one blanket application per lawn. I am looking for some feedback.

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I have seen guys get a small sprayer and put it on a skid. They store it on a table in the garage and back up to the table to load and off load to PU Truck.

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I use a large tank on the PTO of a Medium Tractor. However, I saw a smaller tank with a pump that could be hooked to a 12V battery from the truck at Northern Tools. You could put a longer hose on it and get bye with fewer mixings. The tanks were around 26gal or so. Just thinking out loud but for about $125 they might work. Maybe some of the other guys have used these and could tell you more. For aa 30K yard and about 1gal/K that 4gal is going to wear you out..

4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, you can do it with a back pack to start. That is how most of did it. It will just take a little longer to get off the lawn.

However, there is a new sprayer insert that goes into the push spreader available now. I do not know how much $ it is nor do I know any one who has one. I just know it is available (from perma green I think)

5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Those are my thoughts exactly. Those are pretty big lawns for a backpack, but that new spreader attachment (yes, it's from PG) would seem to be exactly what you'd want. Good luck.

6. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I remember those days doing big lawns with a back pack. Refilling every 3 thousand square feet. Neck killing me. Yes it can be done, and when somr of us started out, there was no choice, it had to be done. Save up for a z spray if you have a lot of 30K lawns.

7. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

Can you do blanket applications with the permagreen drop-in unit.

8. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I would defiantly check out the new sprayer from PG. they are under $500 and would work great for what your doing. 30k are bigger than I would want to spray with a BP.

9. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

30 k with a backpack is insane, even a grounds wheely would be better than that.