1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

backpack sprayers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rmmllc, Mar 10, 2008.

1. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

Newly licensed- will be spraying lawns and doing simple foundation sprays for bugs. Question is what backpack sprayers are your favorites? Mostly for the foundations, but also for spot spraying when I do granular in the summer (I'll do liquid fert in spring). Also, what chemicals? Lesco guys say bithehthrin (sp) is good, anyone back that up?
  2. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

I'm looking at the Echo and Stihl sprayers- are they any good?
  3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I love my Stihl. Only downside is the handle is not interchangeable. Pump with left, spray with right...No good if you're a southpaw. Other than that, no problems.
  4. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I do a little spraying and have 2 stihl backpack sprayers. love them.
  5. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

How do the higher end back pack pumpers compare to battery shurflow?
  6. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

any experience with the echo unit?
  7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I love my Maruyama MS074. It is good for 350PSI and 1.9GPM. I use it for lawn applications, shrub and tree work, IVM, as well as perimeter applications. This past December, I picked up a Solo 433, this machine is also engine driven. It is rated at 435PSI, I am fairly certain that fluid volume is similar. Both of those sprayers bypass back into that tank. So I have no problems applying fungicides, insecticides, simazine/atrazine, diuron, or anything that is a wettable powder or DF. At one time I was considering electric sprayers, but decided they would only be good for glyphosate or Threeway amine. My usual broadleaf herbicides are 2,4-D ester or Speedzone and those should be kept agitated when applied.

I used to use Solo 425's or SPI, hated the pumping, lack of pressure and low flow. Now I am able to run either an ARAG gun with a 2.5MM nozzle up a 20 ft tree, any Teejet nozzle up to 2GPM or a 3 nozzle boom. Some of you might be wondering why I am not doing this with a truckmount and a Permagreen or Z-Spray. The properties I maintain are usually 1 acre or less, many of the turf and landscaped areas are up or down stairs and even the flat areas are cut off by narrow gates or doors.

Where I appreciate a portable power sprayer the most is when I am treating things like hibiscus, ixora, roses or any other dense shrub. My usual gun for this work is a Teejet double swivel fitted with disc-core nozzles on a 4 ft 1/4" stainless steel wand. Coverage of the leaf and stems, especially the undersides is excellent. The usual way the "landscapers" here spray shrubs is send out an illiterate worker with a Solo 425 or some other hand sprayer and expect him to cover the inner stems and undersides of the leaves. What I normally see is the worker waving the wand rapidly over the top and sides of the shubs or hedge, working very hard and doing a piss-poor job of covering where the mealybugs or whitefly are. With this image in my mind, I have no problems making only a gallon or two of spray and starting the machine to treat a few shrubs. I do have a B & G hand can, but that is only used for low pressure applications to areas under 500 sq ft. Seems I only use it for glyphosate in gravel or cracks or basal bark sprays with Garlon/2,4-d.
  8. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

That's a good idea, but I don't have a lot of volume to spray (yet). Makes sense though- especially in Hawaii- like you said, hills, stairs, gates- must be gorgeous.
  9. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

I like the Birchmeier sprayer I picked up from Lesco. Swiss made and all the important parts are brass, minimal plastic. I also like the fact the pump cylinder is on the outside of the tank not inisde like many others. The handle unscrews for easy up-right storage.

You will pay a little more than all the plastic pump up styles but the longevity and durability of the product should pay for its' self in the long run.
  10. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

It sure is gorgeous. I do have to admit it does get warm and humid from August through December. It is warm and sunny most of the year save for some rainstorms. I think once you try an engine driven backpack, you would be hooked. As I once said, there is nothing wrong with making only a gallon or two. The other reason I will make a partial tank is if I am broadcast spraying a lawn. A power sprayer enables me to keep a constant 15-40PSI at the nozzle. DOA loves me because I can verify application pressure and volume applied per area. The other "landscapers" are just guessing and spotting with their manual sprayers. I do not spot spray lawns with an uncallibrated gun.