Backpack Sprayers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DaveVA, Jun 18, 2008.

1. DaveVA

DaveVA LawnSite Member

I am looking for some suggestions on how to get the most out of a backpack sprayer for a residential lawn. My lawn is approximately 20,000 sq ft. I have some crabgrass,dallisgrass and nutsedge that I need to kill. What spray pattern will work best for me, fine mist or heavy droplets? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Assuming your using a selective herbicide i would use a fine mist close up, but that's me.Im sure others will be different.
  3. DaveVA

DaveVA LawnSite Member

Yes I will be using a selective herbicide. Thanks
  4. b121774

b121774 LawnSite Member

This time of year I would use MSMA or Trimec plus on the dalis and crabgrass and mist it on with a teejet 8002 fan jet with no surfactant and keep the wand high and make sure this is no wind. On the nut sedge use manage or sedgehammer and mist on as well. I'm from California and its about 100 degrees right now and have been doing this for years with no ill results. Get the crabgrass when young as its harder to kill when it gets past the 3 leaf stage but its always better to prevent with pre-emergent.