1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Backpack Sprayers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Peachtree Environmental, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Peachtree Environmental

Peachtree Environmental LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I've been using Solo backpack sprayers for a long time, but they seem to take up a lot of space because the pump lever doesn't really fold up. They do the job well and I know there are better ones out there. I have been looking into SP Systems as they seem more molded and compact (pump lever) folds all the way up. Anyone have any recommendations? Are there other sprayers I should be looking at? Also, between the SP0, SP1, SP2, SP3 the pump is obviously different, but what are you guys using for herbicide use and what seems to last? Thanks.
  2. lawnrx

lawnrx LawnSite Member
    from ga

Steel brand back pack sprayer. I hve three and love them. had them for 3 years.
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I use the Shurflo battery backpack and I like it, you have to charge your battery often though, or have a spare on hand. It has pooped out on me more than once in the field.
  4. Peachtree Environmental

Peachtree Environmental LawnSite Member

Yeah the battery-operated seem like they would be nice, but worry about the longevity of the battery and it's charge. Also, I just took a look at the Stihl, and I may go check one out at the dealer. Looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Lever folds all the way up and looks easy to hang with the straight backboard looking thing. Do you have the SG 20?
  5. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I like the SP2. My biggest requirement is that a sprayer doesn't leak all over me. This sprayer is going on 3 year's with no leak's. You can also get part's for it. The handle doesn't fold up but it does unclip. I think SP sprayer's are one of the best.
  6. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

Getting ready to buy the SPO, I hear nothing but good thing about it. Stihl would be my next choice, just because he is close by.
  7. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Although I agree that they are good back packs as that is what I own, I would think you would learn to spell Stihl since it is clearly written on the back of each of them! :laugh:

I all honestly I do not know if they are the best but they work well and with a company like "steel" :nono: you know you will always be able to get parts.
  8. JJS

JJS LawnSite Senior Member

just my .02, i own 2 stihl sg20's. i bought them new in 2009. shortly after that both wand handles cracked right in the grip/trigger piece about 2-3 months later. one also had leaky o-rings a few months down the road as well. maybe it was just my luck to get a bad batch and they did a sub par job on the mold of the handles on a run at the plant. anyone else having that problem? i've yet to find a durable,realiable backpack i really love as well
  9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i love my sp sprayers, but when the seals fail it leaks down your ass. what is up with that design anyhow? i HATE that part of the product
  10. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, can't seem to find the SPO in stock any where, any ideas? Also, can the Stihl sprayer, spray wettable powers and can you get a fan tip for it?