1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Backpack TRIMMER

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenUtah, Jun 24, 2005.

1. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

If you search the international sites of makers like Echo, Husqvarna, etc., you will see backpack trimmer/brushcutters offered by these companies outside of the US market. So how would you feel about carrying the engine(a larger one with more fuel) on your back in an ergonomic sling and just have the weight of the trimmer shaft and head to deal with? Although I haven't seen this particular setup on the backpack models, some of the brushcutters in the same lines have pistolgrip controls to put your hand in a more natural position. If you could have the shaft and head weight only with the pistol grip control, perhaps some sort of arm rest/cup to use your forearm to steer(think how a metal detector is set up), would you choose a machine that you can one hand trim with, be able to walk forward while trimming without twisting your body and have more power at your disposal? Or is it all too monstrous for the job? :)
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I would like one for large trimming jobs, but probably not everyday trimming. Anybody know why those backpack jobbers aren't offered in the US?
  3. Charlie Sierra

Charlie Sierra LawnSite Member

Hello Guys,

I too have seen BP hedge trimmer and brushcutter units in a german language Stihl catalog. In my area, a company called Efco of Italian manufacture is offering similar units for sale. I have never driven a BP power tool outside of the ubiquitous blower but would very much like to try a brushcutter variant on one or two of the very large jobs I occassionally land as I think backs carry engines better than arms.

4. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Several years ago I sold a few Shindaiwa B35 back pack trimmers to surveyors. They used saw blades to cut lines to run chain and the drive cable held up very well. The engine had a pivot at the top and bottom and would swing around to be used left or right handed.

I think the demand was so low that it wasn't economical to continue to import the unit. It was a bit pricey too.

6. blkberry

blkberry LawnSite Member

I see them frequently in use cutting right of ways and ditches. Look like they would be a good heavy use option!
  7. turfmgr

turfmgr LawnSite Member

anyone know how much one of those would run(cost)? only thing is, is that when you get going with all the torque at the head, the weight of the engine on a regular trimmer kind of keeps the head in place, wonder if this setup would cause the head to get away from you sometimes...
  8. DrLrgOrng

DrLrgOrng LawnSite Member

Solo SKM 141 $649.99*
  9. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

does anyone know if the shindaiwa b35 is still available or even a similar model?
  10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The Shindaiwa back pack trimmer has not been available for several years. I sold 4 and the owners loved them. They are great for extended runs like fence rows or cutting survey lines.

A few years ago I had a call from a property owner who just wanted to see the machine a survey crew had used. He said that it was the first time he could walk down a survey line and not have to watch for punji sticks because every small tree was cut at ground level instead of hacked with a machetti.

Just sitting and waiting for my stimulus check.
    I will probably get a reality check instead.