1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Backpack vs. handheld Blower ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kona, Nov 9, 2002.

1. kona

kona LawnSite Member

I just started cutting a few residential lawns 12 to be exact. just a small part time /extra income thing that i am trying to grow a little.
    I need to get a blower and cant decide between backpack or handheld!! Any advice would be greatly apreciated.
    if needed i can spend 350.00-400.00 if it is worth the extra$$$.
    Also who makes the Best Brand backpack/handheld and or model?
    All i have to get started currently is a 48" EXmark & 21 John Deere push mower & Echo SRM-260 String Trimmer.

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Backpacks are great. Lots of blow for the money. Just pick one you like. All pretty similar in quality.

Mark

3. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Contact Captain Devo here on Lawnsite.

He has a Redmax 7001.. (Do a search for 7001 or Redmax)

The blower is currently one of the top 3 strongest blowers on the market backpack wise.

If you ask which one is the strongest, you'll get or 4 different answers just like in trucks (Ford, Chevy or Dodge...)

He's priced in the mid $400's. Unbeatable deal from any local dealer and it can be UPS'd to your house.. probably have it by Thursday or Friday of next week if you move quick...

I bought one from him..

You will NOT be disappointed..

Or check your local dealer for the top-notch Echo, Stihl or Shindaiwa.... They are all great from what everyone on here says..

Gary

4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I would definatly go with a BP if you have the money. Doog was right Capt Devo has some good prices on some very good equipment. I have an hand held that I bought first and don't even use it since I bought my BP. The is no compartison. Alot more power and alot easier on the arms.

5. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

Go with the backpack. You will not be sorry. You can clean of sidewalks and drivw ways just as fast as you can walk, not to mention how much easier leaf clean up is as compared to a hand held and a good back pack is in your price range.
    As for brand, I like Sthil, but you can;t go worng with echo, redmax, etc.

6. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

I too bought the Redmax 7001. But there are several factors to consider.

First, do you plan on growing your business. Second are you pressed for time with these 12 accounts (I presume you have a regular 40 hour a week job) and Third, like you said, Money.

If you plan on staying the size you are and are doing it cause you like it and it gives you some spending cash, I would suggest a hand held, perferably stihls bg85. On the otherhand if you think you might add a few accounts, say 10 or so more definitely go with the backpack. JMHO:D

7. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

back pack, even if your part time. the $ it costs you is peanuts really. you'll be glad you did the first time you cut in the rain and need to blow...

8. dschulte

dschulte LawnSite Member

Go to Lowes and get a Husqurvana(?) for $175. Mine has lasted for years with no problems. Mounts easy on your trailer so you dont have crap rolling aroung in your pickup bed as well.

9. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Back packs are great.... but if you only need to blow a little just like short sidewalks and small driveways and are only gonna run it for like a minute or two at a time... a hand held will be just fine... actually might be better b/c you don't have to put it on and all that. If you do clean ups and large jobs... get a bp

10. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I have a hand held Echo blower and it blows as fast as I walk when dry... if it is wet it takes a lil bit longer but it is still kinda fast.