Backpack vs. Walk behind blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kady Landscape, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Kady Landscape

Kady Landscape LawnSite Member

I am a small one horse landscape business.

I need a new blower mainly for spring/fall clean ups. I was thinking of buying an 8hp Billy Goat or Little Wonder walk behind type. But after doing a search I see the back pack type Red Max 7001 and Echo EB650 are very popular. I understand the w/b are very one sided machines while the back packs are more versitile.

Any advice on which blower I should demo? Currently I am using a Sthil handheld for all other duties.

Thank you for all your help!

Dave Kady
    Kady Landscape

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I Have The 650 Very Impressed But For Bigger areas The Little Wounder Blows Them away. You Will Fine that You will Need the Two Of Them. You Can go 6HP Little wounder and The PB650 Is a KILLER COMBO.
    John.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If you do buy a Little Wonder or Billy Goat leaf blower, spend the extra money for a 8 or 9hp. BIG difference over a 5 or 6hp.

As for backpacks, the general concensus lately has been that Echo (650/750) and Redmax (7000/7001) make the best ones.

4. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

I have a billy goat 8hp works great. My dealer is a total *******
    though. As with everything you buy, dealer support in your area is critical

5. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck, and Welcome to Lawnsite:waving:

I agree with John... you will need both....... I love my redmax and Little wonder.... I am going to add another Little Wonder before Fall this year.

Up in NH I'm sure you have havy leaves as I have here in NY.
    Use the BP to clean out the beds / corners, use the WB to do the large areas.

If you're just starting and don't plan on doing spring cleanups this year, get the BP first to use w/mowing, and pick up the WB later in the season............ unless the $$$ is available now, then buy both!
    If you do a cleanup w/o a WB blower, and then get one, you'll feel like an ***** for not buying it sooner, trust me:rolleyes:

And as Rodfather said, basically, bigger is better.
    I believe my dealer told me that the 8hp Little Wonder not only has more HP than the 5 or 6, but it spins a larger impeller, because it can! ---> MORE AIR!

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I Have All 10hp Little wonders And the only thing that can Push them Is The Lazers with the Jrco Blower Buggy. If He Is On a Budget And can't Get The Bigger Blowers and the BP, He Might Go Less HP And Get Both. there Is nothing Wrong With the 6hp I just got It And I Can Push It In Smaller Yard's.

Good Luck John.

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

They are 2 totally different animals.

Backpacks - A good all around machine for maintenance, cleanups, beds, and corners, small yards.

Ground blower - Great for larger areas, parking lots, streets, large lawns, heavy amounts of leaves.

We use both for both the above reasons. :cool:

8. Kady Landscape

Kady Landscape LawnSite Member

Great advice guys,

I have always operated my business as a one day a week p/t job. But since I enjoy landscaping so much I am going full time and want to make sure I am smart about my purchases.

I am going to take your advice and demo both the Echo and Red Max for now. Depending how many accounts I can pick up I'll go for the w/b blower in the fall.

I agree, save the $$$ and go big! I realize 8hp is a big difference over the 5-6hp models. Anything over 8hp, do you still get that big difference between the 8 and 10 or even that 13hp monster?

Thank you!!!

--Dave K

9. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

I use the PB 650 for about everything except when I have lots of leaves to move then out comes the BillyGoat QB1601SP it is just awesome, what ever is left is taken care of with a Toro 153Z and bluebird collection system.
    Both is Better.
    BobR

10. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Even being a one horse company you'll be able to use both blowers at the same time. It's nice when you're trying to move leaves around the corners of houses/yards. Use the back pack blower to feed the large wheel blower to kick or move leaves further. You can keep the back pack on and still wheel the larger blower around as you need it and then leave it stationary when you're working through a bed.

By having equipment that will increase your efficiency you'll be able to service more properties even if you still only want to work one day a week - thereby allowing you to earn more.

Good luck with your decision.