1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Backstabbing compadre...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bassman, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

I refer business to some people I know for work I don't do. Namely, landscape installation and tree trimming. Today I went to one of my most lucrative accounts and he informed me that the party that I told him about to do landscape installation said I needed to blow out leaves from in back of hedges and shrubs more digilently. I've given this guy, (landscaper), thousands of dollars in referral business. I was extremely upset at this guy. He should have either blown the leaves out and kept his mouth shut to my customer or else called me and suggested I need to be more attentive to the problem. I called him and in very strong terms told him so. Am I wrong in making a big case of this? I've worked hard to maintain excellent relations with my customers and don't appreciate this landscaper making me look bad to MY customer. A few weeks ago I talked to him and he informed me that he was a little slow and was looking to pick up some lawn maintenance accounts. Sounds like he was trying to make me look bad so he could steal this account. What is your take on this?

P.S. I told the landscaper not to EVER bad mouth my work to one of my customers because I'f it wasn't for me he would not have made a dime from that person. Call ME, don't F**k with my customer!

P.P.S. Kind of reminds me of the last pesticide application company that I referred to one of my customers. My next visit to that account, they said the pesticide applicator told them I was cutting their lawn with dull blades. (Not true). I'm starting to think I'll just not refer anyone, just tell my customers to look in the yellow pages.
  2. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

That guy needs to get slapped.
  3. I've has them say your cutting the lawn to shaort then a few weeks later to tall, and we didn't change the height.

Forget the guy and move on. He's the type of guy who will bad mouth himself soon.
  4. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Bassman-take your pal on a fishin trip,Fla. is covered in gators,accidents do happen!!;)
  5. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for replies. I just had to vent a little. I've not lost any biz from these incidents so far but it really burns my *** that someone you give referral business to makes a comment that reflects negatively on you. What are they thinking?

"My friend gives me work for free that otherwise I would not have. Do the work and then make a negative comment about him." Go figure.
    Life goes on...
  6. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would not refer anymore business to him and I would let him know that too. But that is my opinion, I have several close friends in tree service and irrigation, that we refer each other business for different things and never had any problem at all.
  7. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Now may be the tiome to expand in business that you normally do not do to avoid sub-contracting the work out.
  8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly! Not everyone in business has ethics.

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

I'd blow the leaves and thank the landscaper for letting your customer know about a serious over leafing problem.

I think that you made your point to the guy just fine.

Hmmm, deleafing a bed, could mean more money??
  10. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Tell the customer that you did it intentionally as it looked like it needed a little more mulch. Then go see the bugger of a L/Scaper and as 2 man crew says SLAP him hard! We know you want too!