1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Backup, Backup, Backup

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Turfdude, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't stress enough the importance of this!
    I recently started running my new Dell P4 and had to learn how to back-up to cd & of course the ever confusing Windows XP Pro. I am liking the 98 style more & more, but am gaining more knowledge w/ XP everyday.
    The reason for this post is that I really screwed up my database yesterday & didn't even know it until I tried to back it up today. My mistake was that I re-started windows even though my wife had a program running under her screen name. The program was Lawn Monkey which I use for all of my work. I was warned by Windows that some data could get screwed up, but didn't take heed to the warning.
    Please to avoid the **** I went through, make sure all programs are closed and all users logged off prior to shutting down. Fortunately I had a 1 day old backup & only had to enter that days work to get everything going again. This is why I backup daily.

Sorry for the long post, but if it helps just one person not go through what I experienced, it is worth the reading.