Backup driver warning system on a skid?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by TonyG, Jun 24, 2007.

1. TonyG

TonyG LawnSite Member

Are there any systems out there that work like the backup sensor on a car? Or do you just go with a camera? Now I'm not talking about the audible type found outside to warn others of your intensions, but something for you, the driver inside the cab.

Tony

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Yeppir.......skidsteersolutions.com has a back-up camera that cost $200 plus or minus. Mount the little camera on the back, 2" monitor screen mount in cab and there ya have it.......you can watch while you back into something :)

3. TonyG

TonyG LawnSite Member

I'll look into that. But that 2" screen in kinda tiny...these 45 year old eyes aren't quite what they once were!

4. Gordy19

Gordy19 LawnSite Member

Installed one in my JD 250II and one in a friends Bobcat 190 t he's 60 no problems got them at walmart for around 100 bucks installed about 6 months ago no problems yet

5. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

TonyG.....got 5 plus on ya.........us old farts gotta rely on a little more skill and savvy and glasses.....what was I saying again? Oh yea, half-heimers......gotta watch that one too......

6. TonyG

TonyG LawnSite Member

Hold on a minute there Rock...I don't think I qualify for AARP just yet!:laugh: Your right, it is always a game of skill...I just don't like blind spots where you can kill one of those sneaky garden Gnome's or wandering sprinkler-head.
    I driven all kinds of equipment from very large to this critter (A300) we just bought. This has the worst visibility I've been around but doable.:confused:

7. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Gordy19, do you have any pics of it installed on the 250 II Deere? I have the same model and have kicked around putting one on it.

8. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

This may seem silly, but is it that much of a blind spot behind the skid steer? Most machines I have used were old, and open at the back, but even in a 743 or 843 Bobcat I would just twist my neck and look out the back opening. I have a camera in my motorhome, it's an inexpensive IR camera ( 50.00) and I hooked it to an LCD tv and it works fine.

9. TonyG

TonyG LawnSite Member

not from my vantage point. Inside a A300 which is probably the same as any other 300 series machine, I think the view kinda' blows. This camera sounds cool to me.

10. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, there is especially if there was a small child around or an animal. I mean dont get me wrong most things you can see if they are a little ways back but anything close forget it.