1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

backup lights

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bobcatnj, Dec 11, 2007.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

thinking of adding backup lights to the truck. any recomendations?how do you wire them up? i want them to work in reverse and also when the truck is in park?

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

If I were you, which I'm not, and our thought processes are totally different, this is what i would do. I would go to a local auto parts store and purchase a set of off-road driving lights, in whatever price range you choose. I would wire them through a toggle switch on the dash so I can turn them on whenever I want. Or, you could wire them so they come on in reverse always by splicing into the current back-up lights, and also wire them to a toggle switch on the dash so you can turn them on and off in park.

I wired all my marker lights (I have a lot) twice and added off-road lights inside the cap of my truck so I could see my tools at night. I don't have any professional experience wiring and doing electrical, but I'm not that much of an idiot either. :)

3. wayneo7

wayneo7 LawnSite Member

This is kinda what I did as well. Put a set of driving lights on the back of my dump truck and wired it to a toggle switch. I'm thinking about doing this to my work truck as well. It's a HUGE help at night.

4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I never realized how much help light was until they don't work for a while...

5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

thats what i did on my truck and it works great