backup machines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PaulJ, Apr 25, 2006.

1. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Now I did it. I went and posted that I might sell a mower. My old WB that just sits most of the time. MY Hustler does everything but a couple small back yards that nothing but a 21" or trimmer will fit. So I started thinking about selling the 36" lesco wB and now someone is interested in it. If I sell it I won't have a backup if "knock on wood" something happens with the HUstler super WB. The Hustler has been almost trouble free and the dealer while a ways away does have a loner for me if needed. I guess I am just not sure if I want to be without a backup. Or do I sell the 36" and get something fora backup that would be more useful as a second mower fora helper and closer to the production of my Main mower. Any thoughts?

2. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

I look at it as you know the mower. You probably know what's wrong with it, if anything at all. It's paid for, it works. I'd keep it.

3. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Im in same sort of boat. Just want to see where this goes..............

4. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

What if your dealer has his spare loaned out to another LCO?

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd like to get rid of the pistol grip belt drive and get another hydro or even a used Z. but the old lesco has been a good reliable mower and I might run into some gates again. such dilemmas.

6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I have three, soon to be four, back up mowers - a 60", a 36" and a 21".
    I'll sell the back up to other LCO's in my area when my new machines arrive.
    I realy cannot use a back up to a back up.
    However, I am currently running two to three crews with nine machines - depending upon work load, which as of today is four weeks behind.:)

7. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what I think. if the dealer has his spare loaned out to someone else and yours has to go in, you've got a machine to keep cutting with, and not worry so much about how sound it is.

8. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

After just experiencing 3 machines going down I suggest you keep it or buy another backup and then sell.

9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have back up machines to my back up machines. Trust me you never can be too safe. :rolleyes:

10. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

i totally agree!!!! keep it