1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Backup Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tim White, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Tim White

Tim White LawnSite Member

Wanting to get a backup trimmer, using a Husqvarna 323l now, best $280.00 I ever spent. Thinking about a 4-stroke, any thoughts from those running a 4-stroke?
  2. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

If you are looking for backup which is a lot cheaper than $280, you might want to consider Troy Bilt TB475 4 cycle on clearance for $149 in Lowes. I have this trimmer for a few years, not using it professionally but I put enough use of it, it hold up well.

I have a post on polling 4Mix type of hybrid 4 cycle, not looking too promising. Honda 4 cycles are very good. I own one and I like it. But it is relatively heavy.

I like 4 cycles, not the hybrid type. It is healthier for you because it is cleaner. Honda HHT25 is 13lb. $329.

Check Makita, they have a 4 cycle trimmer with separate oil make by Robin which is suppose to be good. It is a little lighter, about 12lb.

If you don't like the weight, you should stay with 2 cycles, you can get it cheaper and lighter. Unless you go with Honda or may be Makita, chances are 2 cycles are more reliable.:waving:
  3. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Husq 124L as my backup.
  4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

If that's the best money you ever spent then I would buy another one (or the cosest model) Use the old one for a back up.
  5. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Get a multi tool for the back up. I use a Shindaiwa T242 for my everyday trimmer it's never had a problem. But as a back up I have a Shindaiwa M242 with a trimmer attachment. I also use the M242 with an edger, powerbroom, and pruner attachment. That way I have a nice back up that just doesn't collect dust because it is used for the other jobs also.
  6. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

4-Mix has been very good to me for years.
  7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I have used Stihl 4-mix stuff for 2 seasons now and I am very happy with them.
  8. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

get the same and you wont have to worry about different mixes or checking oil. would save you some time, i think.
  9. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

323l is the way to go. one day it wont be a back up, your old 323 will be. keep some extra gas lines in the truck, the gas lines rot and leak on the 323. we have 3 of them.