Backwards!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jerrys Lawn Service, Nov 2, 2000.

1. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

While mowing and mulching leaves today my wife discovered
    that if the leaves are so heavy that they are starting pile
    up in front of the mower just turn your ztr around and ride
    over them backwards, we're running a Scag Turf Tiger it really grinds them up nice. For some reason when your going forward they get chopped up some what but in reverse it seems to keep everything under the deck longer. Try it out and let me know what you think.

Good Luck!
    jerryslawnservice@home.com

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

What happens when backing up is, you are feeding the leaves in from the back so the back of the blade are throwing the leaves towards the baffles instead of the open discharge part of the deck in the front. Since there is no discharge chute on the opposite side, this process turns a regular deck into almost a mulching deck. I do this with an OCDC closed and it grinds them to dust. It's a good post though, since this is leaf time. :)

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

My mowers are set up to mow reverse
    as fast as forward in leaf season.
    If you are just starting this take
    it slow at first as it can cause
    accidents.Its an aquired skill.
    good leafing TM

4. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

Did my last grinding job yesterday. Backwards does the trick. I never knew the reason why, but I do now. Thanks Eric.

5. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I LEARNED THIS TRICK JUST THIS WEEK. IT WORKS VERY WELL. I WAS IN THE SAME BOAT THEY WERE JUST BEING PUSHED GOING FORWARD SO I BACKED UP AND WHAT DO YOU KNOW, THEY WERE TURNING TO DUST. IT LOOKS KIND OF STUPID BACKING YOUR WAY AROUND THE LAWN BUT HEY IT WORKS. THANKS ERIC, NOW YOU EXPLAINED WHY. I HAVE LEARNED GREAT THINGS FROM THIS SITE AND APPRECIATE EVERYONES ADVICE I HAVE GOT FROM THIS GREAT SITE CALLED LAWNSITE. I HAVE BEEN HERE SINCE THE START WHEN WERE ON TURF-QUIP. NEED TO KNOW ASK THE EXPERTS AT LAWNSITE.
    Mowman

6. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Jerry, What deck do you have on your TT? Do you mow wet, heavy new growth? How does it perform? Thanks for any info.
    Seeking answers, Will

7. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

We have a standard 61 inch deck on our TT with double blades during mowing season, it does a preety good job damp grass.

Good Luck!
    jerryslawnservice@home.com

8. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

when useing the Trac-Vac unit on the dixies backwards is the most effective direction for making a nice clean path. also haveing the deck just a little lower then normal

9. Lawn Cruiser

Lawn Cruiser LawnSite Member

I noticed that mowing backwards works great for this purpose when I was doing leaves this week I was amazed.