Backyard Bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by kdlklm, Oct 4, 2006.

1. kdlklm

kdlklm LawnSite Member
    from Canada

I've built a backyard bridge, that is 15 feet long, I used Timber Tech composite decking for the surface, and the posts. I can't decide what I want to do with the railings. I was looking for some input. I've attach some photos.

image010.jpg

image012.jpg

2. kdlklm

kdlklm LawnSite Member
    from Canada

a couple photos of the frame.

image006.jpg

image007.jpg

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

is there a really small creek in there?? or did you just build a jump for some kids dirtbike??

I would definitely due something curved to match the bridge whatever you do. Sorry I can't be of more help.

4. kdlklm

kdlklm LawnSite Member
    from Canada

there will be a pond on one side with a fountain in it, and all the dirt excavated from it, will build a waterfall on the other side. I have attached a photo of the fountain, it is it to pieces. It's 11'4" tall, spanning 8 feet.

image003.jpg

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Costly I realize but some wrought railings would look good I think.

6. kdlklm

kdlklm LawnSite Member
    from Canada

I had thought about chain, it would be easy to do and I think it would look pretty good.

7. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

thats nice. How did you bend your frame?

Are you going to keep the railing height low like the colums?

I like the chain idea pretty well. I would consider first making railings out of decrotive square or round tubing. Perhaps with two levels top and botton with some ornate metal pattern between. Again thats just to consider because the chain is a good idea.

I want to see you doing a wheelie over it :)

Have you been to www.kingmetals.com ?

I really like your bridge. Here is a pic of mine. I've built and sold about 10 of them so far.

8. TPnTX

king has rope bar

[​IMG]

9. kdlklm

kdlklm LawnSite Member
    from Canada

I used 2 inch square tubing for the frame. I had a hell of a time finding someone that could bend 2 inch square, because I wanted it done on a bender, so the curve was consistent. It turned out really good. the railing is going to stay at 16 inches tall. It is more decorative than anything. But it is still functional.

10. TPnTX

I bend mine myself without a roller using a template made from MDF boards but I can only go up to 1 1/2inch. I tried 2inch once but it was too much. Its a strange way to do it but it works and give consistant results.