Backyard gates in Cetral Florida

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfinator1, May 1, 2007.

1. Turfinator1

Turfinator1 LawnSite Member

I was wondering what most of you guys have ran into for gate openings into backyards here in central Florida? What is the deck size that you mainly use for most backyards? Thanks

2. Rhinox29

Rhinox29 LawnSite Member

If my 52 inch Z won't fit and it is a big area? We use a 42 inch riding mower. If it is small and won't take long we use a 21 inch push. But charge extra. I am in the process of saving up for a 36 inch Z to solve this problem. All my properties except one has a large gate or double gate to the back yard.
  3. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

If a 36 wb wont fit, we are not going to bother...........
  4. Primetime-SRQ

Primetime-SRQ LawnSite Member

Or talk the customer into upgrading the gate. I just talked a new client today into having the gate expanded so I can get my 52" through the gate. NO WAY will I push a 21" around the backyard EVER again......

Heck, I'll even do the gate myself, so I don't lose the account. I had to do the same to my own backyard.
  5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I did what prime time did when I had my biz in orlando. I paid for my labor and the HO paid for the materials to make a larger gate.. money well spent.

I usually made the gate big enough for a small truck to get through...
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have a toro32 as my gate crasher. having this mower has lead me to get jobs that other lco,s would turn down because they all run 36.s and couldnt get tru some gates
  7. Turfinator1

I was looking into getting a mini z 44'' and wasnt sure if i was going to run into problems getting into the backyards. The couple of gate that i have looked at had a 58'' opening and i know that not all of them are the same being that must are probably smaller. What do you all think about the 44'' deck?
  8. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

I have a 36" Exmark TTHP for my backyards. I also have one backyard where the 36" won't fit, but it is about five (5) passes with the 21" wb I use for trimming. No big deal.

On older properties, I am lucky as they have one smaller gate (usually about 35") and a larger gate on the back where I can drive the mower around and get in that way. The neighbor lets me ride across his yard if I will mow up against the fence. No biggie. :)

I would hate to get a 34" mower and use it on only one or two properties. I think you will find that most use a 36" for backyards.
  9. Turfinator1

Thank for the info
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The main reason that Stander sales have been good in our area is because of gate sizes around 36" so a LOT of guys are buying the 32" Standar. And we don't have any problem with customers being concerned about big machines being used on property since the stander is a small profile.