1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bad 2 cycle oil? Worst?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Dec 29, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well no one seems to agree on the best 2 cycle oil. So my question is... who makes the worst? Is there a two cycle air cooled oil (name brand)that has been proven to be bad? Please stick to well know brands such as equipment manufacturer brands (stihl, echo, husky, Shindaiwa, etc) or established brands such as Pennsoil, Amsoil etc. Are there any test to prove an oil like Walmart brands do not meet specs? Are there some oils that work OK but smell like crap, or foul plugs, or cause a build up? Just trying to turn the question around to get a different point of view.
  2. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

I ran some of the black bottled, low smoke stihl oil in my 4mix stuff, ht101 pole saw, fs110's, km130's, and the like. This was early in the 4 mix era and the oil is what my dealer reecomended. We had performance issues, and a saw failed machines at the dealership. They have since quit selling the "black stuff" and now recommend the Stihl Ultra and Amsoil. We have had no more problems since making the switch ourselves.
  3. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I will never use anything that I know is made from Pennsylvania crude oil. Too high of a wax content. Gums everything up. No Pennsoil (sp), no Quaker sludge.
  4. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll never use Shin One again, and I have been seeing here on Lawnsite, that I'm not alone.
  5. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

My Shindaiwa EB3410 C4 don't seem to like Shindaiwa One either. Granted I was trying at 32:1 at the time, It seemed to like Echo Power Blend a whole lot better even at that rich ratio. I am staying with Echo at about 44:1 to avoid carbon. I am giving the Shindi One to my friend so he can play with it.

Is Pennzoil that bad? I read the test result from an artical that like Pennzoil....not that the artical is the law of the land by any means. People here poke holes on the test already.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

walmart supertech was worst for me. foulded plugs and sluggish preformance
  7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Haven't used LawnBoy oil since my college days, but I can detect it from several blocks away...PU!
  8. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

stay with the echo, redmax, husky labeled stuff. Most of it is made by the same people anyway. It is tested in their machines and their warranties are based of it. The automotive store 2 stroke oils don't cut the mustard.

Quaker State, and the home depot bottled oil are 2 of the worse i've seen as far as carbon build up and making rings stick.