1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bad access

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by neversatisfiedj, Jun 22, 2007.

1. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a job I'm starting tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I am doing a pavement that is on top of the yard. I have a 3 foot tall retaining wall I have to get the material up. The crusher run base is the most of what I am worried about. I can't get any machines in here. Aside from making some sort of ramp , maybe out of 2x8's I don't have any other ideas. Anyone have any ideas from any SH*&&^ access jobs they have been on ?
  2. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Can you back up to the wall and work off the truck?
  3. neversatisfiedj

Nope - that would be great
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Would a Dingo work?
  5. neversatisfiedj

Not unless you built a ramp to hold that 2,000 lb machine ;)
  6. Matt k

Matt k LawnSite Member

This question should have been answered before you bid the job!!!

-Telescoping bucket (Pettibone,etc..)
    -Material conveyor
    -Concrete pump
  7. neversatisfiedj

Well I bid the job acordingly. I am getting $22.00 a square for hanover product that I have leftover from another job. I had planned on making a ramp with 2x8's. Just thought maybe some of these vets would have a better idea.
  8. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

Rent that telehandler with a bucket. Most have a 40' reach
  9. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

I had a job that I was looking at that had difficult access. What I thought of is building up along the wall with chrusher run material (you can use a geo-fabric to protect the wall and ground if you would like) to build a temporary ramp. then you will be able to have access to the area. If you compact the material and raise it beyond the wall it shouldn't have much impact on the wall itself.

I never got the job so I never had to do this but it was the solution that I came up with. If you use the fabric it should protect the wall and keep the cleanup of the ground to a minimum and you would be able to reuse the fabric on another job.

Good Luck!
  10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Bingo! Saw an this on a job last year. They crawled a 330 Cat Excavator right up and over a 2.5' wall by piling some gravel right along the wall, after they were done they just scraped it off the wall and spread it on the driveway. You might have to haul it off after, but thats life.