Bad Accident

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PR0 TURF, Mar 13, 2003.

1. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

2. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

This is why safety chains are so important, and also why larger trailers are required to have the break away brake set up. The DOT is really watching this stuff in the states around here.

Also the cable for the breakaway has to be attached to the towing vehicle separate from the safety chain. Many times the breakway cable is intertwined with the safety chain. Then if the safety chain breaks, the brake is not actuated.

I get really nervous about trailers not being secured properly and we inspect our hitches frequently.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

A similar thing happened here but it was a chipper that came loose. Really a terrible tragedy. I personally check both rigs every morning before they leave the yard. It is then the driver's responsibility to check the trailer connection and make sure everything on the truck is secure when going from job to job. I have noticed other rigs that weren't properly connected and pointed it out to the drivers. That stuff gives me the chills. Not something to take lightly.

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is some really bad news. Safety is very important and this just goes to show you can never check your equipment too frequently.

Gravely_Man

5. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

this worries me also. I'm thinking of putting a break away kit on mine this year. Bigger safety chains that are bolted to the trailers frame not welded like they are now

6. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Oh I hope nothing like that ever happens, that freaks me out.

7. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

This is terrible, i hope nothing like that ever happens to me.

8. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Wow! That gave me chills right down the back of my spine! I don't see how it could of came off if the chains were locked in. One thing we do, that others may not. We put the hook facing back wards instead of facing forward like i see alot of folks doing. This happened to my dad. He bought a trailer, and they had been beating the 1 7/8" receiver over a 2" ball. He said the safety chains saved his butt!

9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

What do you mean? The hook on the chain?

We have two safety chains on our trailers, I think it is required by CT DOT regs.

10. hoffmanlandscaping

hoffmanlandscaping LawnSite Member

It' treible to here something like that happen. I feel sorry for the gentlemen whom was pulling the trailer also he has to go thru life now with that on his back. I would never pull a trailer without safety chains. I also turn the hooks around so the opening is facing backwards and also cross the chains underneath so if the trailer did come unhooked the tongue would rest on the chains. I was pulling a 22 ft ski boat last year hand the trailer hit a pothole and came unhooked. The saftey chains save my A!!, the truck and the boat from damage all that happen was a small dent in the bumper of my new truck and I was thankful for that.