Bad back-Stand-on mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by integrityman, Feb 4, 2012.

1. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

If Im replicating a previous thread I profusely apologize. Repetitive "which Z mower is best" threads are becoming a real pet peeve.

Im having back issues- herniated lumbar disc to be precise.....

Any one else using stand on mowers with disc issues?

Any experiences to share????

2. task125

task125 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have had back surgery.the stander is way better on my back than a sit down type.my knees act like shocks.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have lower back issues as well, bottom disk was starting to push out to the side... I generally use sit down zero turns but also have a John Deere stander I use for lot mowing and last year used it for a couple weeks on most lawns. For me the standing didn't do my back any favors, and really wore on my knees and ankles. I have a bum knee and ankle as well (yeah I'm falling apart, have rhumetoid arthritis and am being treated, but the damage was already done). I found it's more comfortable to sit for my situation. I'm also pretty tall, 6'4" and the standers put me up in the trees, literally. All the leaning over, ducking and dodging, don't help.

4. Five Points

Five Points LawnSite Member

I dont have anyreal back issues but after I bought my grandstand last yr I would get a sore back if on it for extended periods of time (hour or longer).

Not to big of deal, just found it odd as alot of fellas on here said they bought stand on's to help alleviate back issues caused from zero turns.

I find the key is job rotation. My employees probably ride or stand on mowers more than me.

Jason I'm tall as well 6'1", and bonk my melon fair bit also. I prefer my walker :hammerhead:

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

get a scag cheetah or a ferris. those will prolly be your best bet.

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i have herniated discs. gee, wonder why? all the years of rough ground before suspension seats, and then many years of sitting still. standing offers the lesser of the two evils as far as pain goes. we have had standers , and the new ones with springs. also,grandstands. the springs on the wright are more comfy, but the platform on the toro is nicer. either way, the new versions of stand on mowers are gonna be the best thing to use , if you can work at all. i know it gets hard. this work will wear you down.

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I have a herniated lumbar disc, additional bulged lumbar disc and another disc injury just above my lumbar region that is far more worrisome than my initial injury and that burns on a constant basis. Not good at all.

I don’t think anyone is going to like to hear this but instead of just running a stander mower [vastly better than sitting and mowing] you are frankly better off running a walk behind mower and actually walking your lawns. For many with disc herniation's putting pressure on the nerve roots, including myself, just standing is very irritating and hard on the back. Walking is much better for your back. I do use a sulky but only about 30% of the time.

For all the above reasons I market only to smaller lawns 1/3 acre or less. I’m okay fine with walking and the tiny lawns have better margins IMO anyhow for time spent.

I’ve been comparing notes with others with disc injuries and overall I’d have to say the medical profession has been doing a piss poor job of getting their patients to avoid further injury. Most still have no clue what caused the initial injury and unknowingly many are going right back to improper lifting and loading of the spine causing more damage.

8. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

my dad is a doctor and had a patient who actually hurt his back in this way using a stand on mower.

my dad was concerned when i purchased my first stand on. but it was discovered that the patient uses the mower roughly. going full speed in the worst of conditions (way to bumpy).

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i hear ya exact, but i aint gonna give up the productivity. flat out, could not get half as much done with wb mowers!

10. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a ruptured disc in my back and our wright stander is easier on me then our Z mowers.