Bad Back

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sugarridge, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Sugarridge

Sugarridge LawnSite Member

Unfortunately, I am starting to develop a chronic lower back pain issue which really makes it difficult to even walk some days. Wondering what commercial mower would be less jarring on the lower back?

2. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I just had major back surgery done on my S1 this past January due to working through the injury for about 6 months prior and now permanently damaged my sciatic nerve and now have numbness in my right leg and foot from it but the pain from my back is long gone due to the surgery. What kind of machine are you using now? I run a tank 60" and a Bunton 61" and I don't have any problems with my back after using them unless its a really bumpy yard and I try to go fast through that area. But I usually slow down in those kinda areas cause I don't want to end up back in for another surgery.

3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Any chiropractor will tell you the Wright stander . Contrary to many posts, standing is far easier on the back . You absorb the shock with your legs. On a seat, you are at the mercy of the seat design which isnt usually forgiving.

4. coobie

coobie LawnSite Member

Ferris.:) IMHO

5. Sugarridge

Sugarridge LawnSite Member

I am presently using as my main rider a Lazer XS 66 diesel with the heavy duty suspension seat. . I have been looking at Wrights seeing as my wife is a nurse and basically told me the same thing about standing vs sitting and absorbing the shock. I wonder if it would help if I were to slow down over rough areas. As far as the Wrights go, I Think the Sentar would be the ticket because of the flexibility to sit and stand. In some of the latest posts it appears that might be working out some of the cut issues, but it sure looks like a nice machine and their channel program would definately save some money.

6. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

start doing yoga-dont worry, you dont have to chant. i started much to my chagrin but i was a 30 year old in a 60 year old body and i feel so much btter now....

7. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

The sentar sport is the one I like. Wright is a backward company in some ways. Their net site is incomplete and doesnt show the Sentar Sport. The Wright should be especially good in Fla too. I think they give an awesome cut in Bermuda. Slowing down on rough is good but its the spot you dont see that gets you.

8. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

Any Stander. I have A JD 657, and I love it. bad back and all

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I got an EverRide Worrior this spring with the pivot front axel. Its a whole lot softer ride than my 2002 Hustler S/Z. Also, try going to a massage therapist every couple weeks. I have had back pain for several years. Went to a few Chiropractors over the years with out any luck. Now I just go for a massage and I'm fine. You do have to watch what you lift and how you lift it. Even have to be careful how you bend over to tie your shoes.

10. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

All good advice. Also, put a cold pack on your lower back for 15 minutes, off 15 and on again. Massage idea is awesome if it's deeper than a surface rub. Also, if pain comes in, take Advil. This will help stop the inflamation which is what actually causes the pain.

Ice everyday and lot's of stretching...:)