bad, bad, bad luck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by afftandem, Apr 2, 2005.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

bought a 96 silverado a few wks ago off dealer (as is, although theres more to the story).. input shaft broke... transmissions shot... $2,500!

what a way to start the season.

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Thats the risk with buying a vehicle "as-is" from a dealer, there is usually some problem lurking. Bummer though, hope it turns around for you. What are the specs of the truck...miles? does it have a plow? transmission cooler? if so, expect tranny problems

3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Looks like we have the same luck! Here's what happened to my chevy.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=100239

4. afftandem

104,000 miles

when I looked at the truck, talking to the dealer, he said 30day warranty. I remembered watching a dateline special (or one of those news shows) on how dealers like to add in things to the paperwork when purchasing a vehicle (surcharges, misc. crap, etc.) so I knew to give an "out the door" price. After all the wheeling and dealing, and him calling me back the next day on my offer, when it came paperwork time, he had slipped the "as is" in..... something told me to say something, but I thought what are the chances it would break down in 30 days. NOTE: when purchasing any vehicle, make the dealer sit with you on the paperwork. they'll come up with something to walk away while youre doin it, so to have it less likely for you to question it.

5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I always thought of myself as a person who is pretty good mechanically. You know, I 've helped my gearhead brother rebuild a couple of engines, and I can do alot of the work on my own vehicle. But this has me baffled....what in the hell is an input shaft?

6. Eddie B

from gone

7. afftandem

maybe i said it wrong... I dont know.. just what the transmission guy told me.

the guys a friend also. Im not getting ripped off by him.

8. afftandem

thanx baily

9. Eddie B

from gone

I think its what connects the tranny to your driveshaft, but I aint no mechanic.

10. afftandem

SLANDER! Im goin to fight the dealership over this.

QUESTION: if I posted a sign on the truck after I get it back would this constitute slander?

PURCHASED THIS VEHICLE AT (DEALERSHIP)
    2 WEEKS LATER, NEEDS $2500 TRANSMISSION
    ASK ME ABOUT IT.