Bad Bad Thing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare3, Jan 27, 2003.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a bad bad thing today. I went used the wrong bolt size on my mower. I stripped the bolt shaft & have gotten two bolts stuck in there. Is there anything I can do to make the bolt come out? (I already drilled through the middle of the bolts) I was also wondering if there is a screw or something that is reusable that I can put in place of the screwed up bolts. Also do any of you know how I can get the hollowed bolts out of the boltamabob?

Any replies are greatly appreciated. Thank you, Chris

2. noclevername

noclevername LawnSite Member

I have a set of "E-Z-Outs". Sort of looks like a tap but is threaded in reverse (left hand thread) Drill it (like you've already done) then thread it in 'till it bites, then keep going until it's out (hopefully). As long as it's not too corroded or crossed threaded it should come out. Depending on where the bolt went, could you use a "Heli-coil" insert? Or maybe just a nut & bolt?

3. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

As Noclever said, use "easy outs" to get the bolt out. If the shaft is not stripped, you're good to go. However, I'd run a tap into the shaft to streighten out and clean the treads. Be sure the treads on the tap match the factory bolt. If the treads are stripped, drill it out to the next size and re-tap it. Be sure and use the same grade bolt.

4. lawncare3

can someone show me a picture of a tap?

5. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

looks alot like a bolt, except it has 4 groves up and down and has cutting edges. Go to Sears - they have all sizes.

6. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

If you don't know what a tap is, I'd take it to a shop for repair. You have to drill the hole to the correct size for the threads to be right if you go to a larger size. Then the walls may not be thick enough to support the thread.

7. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Tap

standardhanddec.gif

8. 1grnlwn

Tap handle

25605ap2s.gif

9. 1grnlwn

10. lawncare3