1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bad batch, luck or more to come?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Flow Control, May 25, 2006.

1. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Service tech was at a home that was installed in 2000. Between then and now we maybe replaced 1 or 2 heads (rotors,) yesterday the tech replaced 12 rotors where the seal was bad. Withholding the brand name until some opinions are made.
  2. More to come...seals don't last long anymore...

Nothing lasts like it used to....if I replaced every head with a leaky seal...that is all I would do all day long. Even on my new installs these days.....sadly enough I have gotten used to the small weepy seals.....it is a cryin' shame.
  3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Let's see... system installed six years ago. Off warranty now so maybe it's time for the seals to go? :)

I've had some rotors develop seal problems early on and some have been in the ground 20+ years with no problems.
  4. It also depends on what you mean by seal problems....

Either they can catch the ball with their nose or they can't.....

Seriously though...slow drizzle or heavy gusher?
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I know the Irritrol XL (Hardie at the time) rotors had horrible seals that leaked real bad after just a couple seasons.I've had an occasional RB or Hunter, but not many.
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Soil conditions? Head level compared to grade? Soil too sandy and heads too low lead to short seal life.
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I bet all those heads were set slightly low, or settled.
  8. We have installed Hunter PGP and I20 ultra rotor heads for the past 15 year and I can count on my hand the number we have replaced because of bad wiper seals. I go to yards we did 12+ years ago and the rotors are still working fine. If the head is set at grade level the wiper seal will out last the gears. In our area we are now just starting to replace the g-type hunter rotors from 1988.
  9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Same here.
  10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You will start to find those 80's rotors have a limited lifespan. And when the turf builds up, in sandier soils, the system can become a victim of its own success.