Bad Batch of Roundup?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lawn Sharks, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone ever get a batch of Roundup that didn't work? I bought the concentrate labeled as "Super Concentrate" (50.2% Glyphosphate)

Mixing 7.5 ounces with 3 gallons of water as instructed I sprayed early yesterday (it was hot and sunny all day) and it didn't do anything.

?????

2. brizine

brizine LawnSite Member

Give it time young grasshopper.

3. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

When you can snatch the dying grass from my hand you will have learned.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep. takes time. Was it really hot when you sprayed it? This slows it down, as well.

5. johnmatt2004

johnmatt2004 LawnSite Member

never heard of bad roundup. how long has it been since application? did it rain within a couple hours, even a real light rain??

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Even at a low rate 1% of Prosecutor (lesco roundup) it take 4-7 days until I see some color change....

now if you want to see some quick color change, try some scythe. on a hot day you'll see a change in appearance in about 30 minutes.

I have sprayed roundup, and then string trimmed the area down the following day and had excelent results.

Roundup will translocate pretty fast...

7. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

Give it time, You will really be able to see the final results in 12-14 days.

8. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

agreed. Straight glypho is not going to give you the kill of blended products like the quickpro formulation or adding scythe. No way one day knockdown and 10-14 is very usual, especially in the heat where plants are growing slower.

9. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Keth,

Utah has given some good advice for a quick knockdown.
    Scythe is a fatty acid that will give results in hours, sometimes minutes.
    I sprayed the beds in an industrial park not to long ago.
    When I finished the weeds in the places I started were significantly stunted.
    Mix it with your roundup and watch what happens.
    This is a great way to impress your customer.
    Will speed up the payments a bit too!

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Scyth is pretty pricey though and IMO does not do anything to help the roundup work better, it just gives the initial quick change/knockdown, which is very impressive none the less.... but you can spray one day and string trim the next with roundup and you'd have the same effect....