Bad Batches of Parts

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Broker, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Who has had bad batches of parts this summer. We have had bad batches of Hunter I-20 ADS and Rain Bird 5004 PLS Steel. I consider anything above 2% a problem and a bad batch when the defective rate approaches 10%

2. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Rainbird 5000 heads and several bags of funny elbows that break when tunining them on the pipe. The rest we have been lucky on.

3. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

i had a bunch of screwed up orders. went through 7 salespeople.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Hmm, We got some Lasco MPT to barb elbows that didn't like to thread into fittings.

A few cases of PGP's we got this year had 2-3 backwards heads in them.

Other than that, no problems. The reasion we use what we do is because we have had good luck :)

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Funny pipe elbows that break are likely to be made from ABS plastic (like a sprinkler head) - The ones supplied by Toro or Rainbird will be made from Delrin (or its generic equivalent) and should not stick in a fitting, since the Delrin plastic is 'self-lubricating' (and ABS and PVC aren't, which is why a cheaper elbow will stick in a fitting) - In a sprinkler head connection, into a marlex elbow, any swing pipe elbow will work without sticking.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We had a case of Rainbird 1804 spray heads that had about half the heads missing the white ratchet ring that goes on the bottom of the stem. Took them back to JD and they checked other boxes with the same date and department codes. Sure enough, more of them were missing. Two other suppliers had the same thing happen before we found that out from our JD batch, and Rainbird never let them know to look for it.

7. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

ive had a few 5000 series 12" POP up pc rotors 'ratchet' after each use. we had to replace the entire head.

8. Luke in Nebraska

Luke in Nebraska LawnSite Member

I don't think there is anything worse than a head that doesn't rotate when the homeowner is outside watching you work. Not to mention embarrasing. Then you act surprised as you tell the homeowner that this usually doesn't happen and you are putting in a reputable product.