1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bad biz

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProMo, Jun 20, 2002.

1. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

mowing 4 of my upscale properties yesterday and these guys are delivering fliers to the door. while i was blowing i opened one and it was the cheasiest flier for lawn service it started to rain as soon as i finished so i called the number and asked the girl that answered if they always deliver fliers to a property when there is a guy on a dc mowing the yard heard her talking to her boss i guess and then she replied "its a free country we can do what the hell we want to do" all it had was a cell number and an answering service dont think they will get any lawns in a half mill + subdivision i was humored as i walked the street removing them
  2. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I understand what you are saying, but, how are you going to feel when someone removes your flyers ? :rolleyes:
  3. ProMo

i dont use flyers the only reason i removed them was because the girl basically cussed me out and said she was going to kill my bizz bzzzzzzzzzz wrong answer
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

You're right, that's no way to conduct business even with competition. I always try to be real polite to customers (or competition). I act like I'm talking to someone important like a boss. I'm not afraid to rise against something but I don't cuss people out like that.
  5. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Be confident in yourself. If you are good your customers will stay with you. Why waste your time removing someone elses flyers. They are free to advertise even with you on the property. It may seem rude to you but don't take it personally. It is business.
  6. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Kinda funny as yesterday I just finished 4 lawns on this one block. Blowing off the drives. This guy in dump shows up & starts looking arround the yard, then knocks on the door.
    I'm like WTF I just picked this customer up 3 weeks ago & thay said thay loved my work.
    I was back in the area later that day as the neighbor wanted me to pick up a check (customer actually called & wanted to pay me).

Saw the guy outside so I went over & asked why the guy was there & I thought thay were happy with my work.
    He told me it was his brothers friend, who he asked a few weeks ago for advice on building some raised/walled beds. He said the guy was from pretty far away & not to worry about loosing his lawn & that guy dosnt do lawns anyways.

Luckaly thats all it was but man was I upset untill I found out. Good paying lawn...

Anyways back on topic:

Isnt it a bit late in the season to start spaming with fliers to beging with? These guys must really need the business.
    Sounds like you called the guys wifes cell. Personally I would never pass out fliers if there is a contractor/lawn guy there. Even if thay look like thay have one I wouldnt flyer them unless its a poor job.

There is nothing wrong with a little friendly compition, to make a living. But when you tell another guy your tring your hardest & will odviously do whatever it takes to take away from his livelyhood. Yer gunna have to start runnin...

If anything you saved the neighborhood. Ya did the right thing.
  7. ProMo

i was removing litter from an upscale neihborhood ill try to get a pic of this thing it spells scrub all over it every home out there has a service if im done and rain is coming i help other companys get finished and im well respected out there i could care less if they want to put out fliers on a prop i do accross the street but draw the line when im on the site working they should have waited until i was finished
  8. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

That was pretty low of them! People may be putting out fliers here in Florida 'cause we're just starting to get rain and the grass is starting to grow. This is going to be where the trailer gate meets the pavement! Can they hang through the summer? We'll see!

Our customers get this stuff and rip it up. They are happy. So, we don't worry about it. We do give cards and quote sheets to neighbors who ask and occassionally, if a lawn looks like it needs tending, we'll leave a business card on the door. Otherwise, we don't do fliers. We're thinking about it though, but we don't want to do like these guys did -- and it would be totally by accident if we did. Usually, if you've been in business long enough, you can spot the lawns that are professionally maintained anyway.

We have lots of respect for other professional LCOs out there. We like to see the ones who stay in business and work out there with us year after year. There are enough lawns to go around. There are new developments going up all the time, so we all stay pretty busy. It's the scrub who won't hang and who is not doing things up to our scale who bothers us. Let 'em come out there, though. They won't last too long in the searing Florida heat! If they're newbies and are in it for the long haul, that's a different story all together. Do your research. Know your turf. Have good equipment, do your job well and run your business legitimately. And... don't lowball us! This is professionalism.

Promo, obviously these flier people are NOT professional and people are going to see this even if they do call them.

P.S. WE dropped a CUSTOMER for swearing at us on the phone....
  9. ProMo

I only called them because it was raining and i was waiting for it to stop was going to give them some freindly advice and maybe even a couple of my non profitable yards until i got cussed out I actually thought it was funny

10. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

That is one BUTT ugly flyer!!!