1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bad bosses

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chevy1tondualyjd, Apr 9, 2004.

1. chevy1tondualyjd

chevy1tondualyjd LawnSite Member
    from Maine

what should i do?
    i've worked with this guy for five years and every year he fails to pay me for months on end. saying that he has to wait untill the customers pay him but he always seems to have enough money to go out and buy new stuff or go and get equiment repaired.

i would quit but the money is good(when i get it)

any advise
  2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

He's demonstrating a lack of respect for you, as an employee. I would confront him (tactfully) about it and if it didn't change, I'd find a job where the pay was dependable.
  3. chevy1tondualyjd

chevy1tondualyjd LawnSite Member
    from Maine

i have told him but he says hes just helping me save my money.
  4. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell him that you need to be paid on set days. Inform him that once that day has passed you will not return to work until you get paid for the work that you have already done. What he is doing is WRONG.
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Check into the labor laws of Maine, and inform him of your findings..Be sure to tell him you can manage your own money, but it's hard to do when you only get paid once in a while..
  6. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

If it was me and I am only speaking for myself here, I would corner him and beat the living hell out of him or just come off and threaten the SOB within an inch of his life. Right now, the dude owns you. I for one would not have put up with this for 5 years. Cripes, go find another job. Hell, start your own business and run his sorry butt out of town. If you let people walk all over you, you have become a human doormat. Is that how you dreamed of going through life? Sometimes you just gotta lay your chips down and kick some ass to get things done properly. If I were you, I would have quit by now but still demanded my money with an apology for what he did. You gotta stick up for yourself and not be taken advantage of. Hell, steal his equipment until he pays you.
  7. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

This sounds like something a father would do to a son who is terrible with money. Is this the case here?
  8. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good thought Davis. I never thought of that.

So Chevy, Is your boss your dad? Do you live under his roof and eat his food and run up his phone bill?
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Well, his profile says he's 18. So there is a good chance he is still living at home. Whether he works for his old man is still up for grabs though. Guess we'll have to wait and find out...
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

one time a guy owed me $800, i took his girlfriends engagement ring and told him he has 2 weeks, or i hock it.