1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bad Boy Advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GeorgiaBorn, Sep 12, 2009.

1. GeorgiaBorn

GeorgiaBorn LawnSite Member

Hey there. My search is continuing for a ZT. I recently looked at Swisher but was told by a few of you fine people that it would make a nicer lawn ornament than a mower. Today I looked at a Bad Boy at TSC.

The manager there told me the one he had out front was last year's model. It has a 60" deck and looks like it is built like a tank. I think the model number of this was ZT2660 or ZTR 6000. It had both numbers on it. I do know that is has the B&S engine. I have about 3 acres. Here are my questions:

1) I know that this ZT can handle my horse pasture but how well will it cut the bermuda in my front yard? I like a nice yard and don't want it looking hacked.

2) What is your overall feelings about Bad Boy mowers? Are they a good brand compared to Toro, Deere, etc?

3) The manager at TSC told me that the one he has was bought and returned within 48 hours because it was too much to handle by the person that bought it. He said he would sell it to me for $3900. Is this a reasonable price?

4) I looked under the cutting deck and all three blades had visible rust on them. Is this an indication that this mower has been sitting in the rain for an extended period of time? Is this something that should concern me?

Sorry for all the questions but I really want to be sure I am getting a good deal on a GOOD ZT before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for you help!
  2. Scout113

Scout113 LawnSite Member

I would tell you that this mower should be great for you and the yard you have to mow. I have the eXmark Quest (eXmark equal to the mower you're looking at) and its a great machine but I find it too small and slow for my 5 acres. I don't know your situation but I would go the commercial route and get a bigger faster mower.

On the other hand, the price sounds really good for the one you're looking at. Just my two cents...
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. zman2307

zman2307 LawnSite Senior Member
    from OR

that's a well built mower. does it have any warranty on it? you might buy the NEW warranty with it if they have one that covers commercial usage. that's like $1100 off a brand new one. Not a bad price at all.
  4. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

Look at how many people are saying they give a horrible cut. Leaving strands of uncut grass, clumping. You get what you pay for. There is a reason bad boy mowers are thousands less than others. I wont ever buy one.
  5. zman2307

zman2307 LawnSite Senior Member
    from OR

could you post a link to these threads please?
  6. Rhinox29

Rhinox29 LawnSite Member

I have been running Badboy mowers for years. They are excellent mowers and well built. The TSC zt model is the residential model. But, it is built the same way as the commercial units. I cut bermuda with no problems. I have nothing but good things to say about BB
  7. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

That is a heck of a price on that machine. I know around 180 BB Owners, and they are all happy with the cut and their machines. As far as the rust around the blades, no big deal I wouldn't even worry about it, worst case scenario get a new set of blades. I leave mine in the rain all the time. You will be very happy with that mower. I cut mainly bermuda with no issues at all. Your more comparable deere or toro will be closer to the $6500 to $7000 range. I will put my mowers up against any of the other brands any day (I run 3 of them myself).
  8. kb9nvh

kb9nvh LawnSite Senior Member

The mowers not bad at all, but likely the set up from the dealer is lacking.
    I had a few issues with mine I had to address myself. The BB mower is a great value and will last forever....you wont regret buying one.

9. h0mr12

h0mr12 LawnSite Senior Member

I think some of that comes along with the groundspeed the badboys have. Just because they can run 15 mph doesn't mean you have to mow like that. I was guilty of it myself to a degree.
    I watched the crew mowing my place of work the other day. They do a decent enough job but I was suprised how slow they went. I would had the whole place mowed quicker then the 2 Kubotas did.
    I initially wasn't overly impressed with my badboy's cut niether, but when I found 4 psi difference in tire pressure and a deck that was over an inch off, side to side, it's not going to cut real pretty. Afew simple adjustments and now the wifey just thinks I have somehow learned to drive the ztr better.:laugh:

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd like to see those post my self. I have read some having minor issues with turning around without tearing a little turf. Most of that was people learning how to drive a powerful ztr. I had the same problems myself. But now I'm slick as a baby's rear end. But leaving strands of uncut grass and clumping? Naw! Here some pictures of my mother in law's St Augustine lawn.

No uncut grass or clumping here!

Then there my Bahia trash lawn.

The cut on the left, the uncut on the right. Bahia no uncut grass or clumping that I see.

Not bad considering what we started with.

I still didn't see any uncut grass or clumping!

I did try to fine a different blade for a better cut.

I love my Bad Boy Pup!