Bad Boy and Gen Hydro Questions.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Johnny-O, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Johnny-O

Johnny-O LawnSite Member

I'm interested in purchasing a Bad Boy 31 HP Kawa w/ 52" deck. Does anyone know if the 31HP come water cooled?

Can the BB w/ the Hydro drives pull an aerator along without causing damage to the drives? I want to tow some light duty things around without screwing things up.

Thanks, any input would be appreciated,
    Johnny-O

2. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, I am getting my 31hp this week! The Big Block Kawasaki is a Forced-Air Motor, which means it has a fan system that forces air through the motor. If you want the Liquid-Cooled option, you will have to go with the 26hp Kawa. I have a 52" 26hp Lightning, and it is more than enough power to pull through anything. My 31hp that I ordered, I got with the 60" deck. For $44.99 you can get a trailer hitch put on, and I believe it is rated to pull 500lbs, but I will have to check to make sure. I know that Dixie Choppers are rated to pull 500, but I heard of people pulling their trucks out of the mud with them...lol.

3. Johnny-O

Johnny-O LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. Let me know how your 31 HP works for you! Being a comercial guy do you ever Aerate or dethatch? Do you pull a separate device or do you have a dedicated machine? Why are you going to the 31 instead of another 26?

4. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

No, we haven't had anybody want a dethatch or aieration yet. I ordered the 31hp just cause its new, and I wanted to try the forced-air option. The 26 pulls the 60" deck just fine, I just thought the 31 would give some pretty good braggin rights....lol. I am also a dealer, and I thought the 31 would make a pretty good demo. I will use it some also this year, and then someone can purchase at a discount, and get a full warranty just like a new machine. The city of Hugo just bought 2 26 60" lightning and they pull a spray rig with one, and they drag their ballfields with the other, they said they pull great with plenty of power.

5. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a 26 l.c. Kaw with 60" Lightning. I've never tried to tow anything with any mower ive ever owned (just don't think that's what they're for) but I can tell you the engine has plenty of power and torque for mowing (im sure it would for towing the limit too).

6. Johnny-O

Johnny-O LawnSite Member

Since you're a dealer. . . whats the price diff. between a 26HP LC and the 31HP? Do you have a bagging system? What do you recommend? I've heard of two types of Pico systems 3 bag w/ power assist = $1785 or the Dumping setup = $2500. What do you have?

7. Johnny-O

Johnny-O LawnSite Member

Hey, LDH. I've been cruzing through this site for some really great info. I've heard only great things about BB mowers from everyone that owned one, until I read a post by you in reference to why you purchased a Scag b/c of a bad experience you had had w/ a BB. Partly attributable to the dealer. I don't want you to retype everything but I would like to hear what the trouble was to better make the right decision for myself prior to making this monumental purchase. If you could refer me to the thread if its been discussed previously or I'll even call you to talk to you personally if you'd prefer. Either way, I'd be very appreciative. Johnny-O

8. Mowinforaliving

Hey Johnny, you can call me. My number is 580-761-0884. That's my cell, so you oughta be able to catch me on it anytime. I'll tell you the story.

9. Mowinforaliving

You know Johnny, there's really nothing to it. To sum it all up, Bad Boy was using weak rims on their diesel models there for awhile which would cause the rims to break and fall off, leaving the lug screws in the hub along with pieces of rim that surrounds them, or they would flex back and forth causing the lug screws to loosen up and eventually fall out, causing the rim to fall off that way. I bought a 35 Cat 72" Bad Boy at the first of the season last year and this happened 4 times before the machine had 60 hours on it. I bought the mower to mow a 29 acre highway median that I have under a city contract. It's a weekly account and each time this happened I wasnt able to do it and lost out on about $1,000 each time. Plus, I had to pay for the repair (new hub, rim, and labor) which was $500 or so all together. Anyway, my dealer didn't stand behind it and made me pay for the fix the first 2 times saying "the next time that rep comes in Larry you and I need to just sit down and talk to him". Well, I couldnt wait around on that, so I called the rep myself. He overnighted me 2 rims to my house so that the next time it fell off I wouldnt have to wait on shipping and could get back in the field. In order to save the hub we came up with a system of marking the lug screws and getting off the mower every 30 mins or so and checking them. That way the rim would just break and not wollar out the holes. The rep told me Bad Boy was in the process of getting thicker rims made and once they did he would send me some of the new, thicker steel rims. Well, it happened a 4th time and I just said the heck with it and got a big diesel Grasshopper to do the highway with.

10. Mowinforaliving

Since then, from what I hear (on this forum) Bad Boy has corrected this problem and it's not a concern anymore. Hustler and some other brands had similar issues as well, with rims on their diesel models. They too, corrected it.