1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bad Boy Bearings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jjdodgelawncare, Dec 1, 2007.

1. jjdodgelawncare

jjdodgelawncare LawnSite Member

I recently had to take off our bearing for the mower deck on the chute side. We were wondering if anyone else has had problems with these Bad Boy Bearings. Or even any other compressed seal bearings for mowing? That was our first thing we look at because that is the heart of the mower. We didn't see any grease inserts and we know how quick bearing can go out if they are not maintained with the proper grease. We were using regular grease from an auto parts store and we went through atleast 4 bearing on our old John Deere F525, before we went to amsoil high temperature grease and for two years we never replaced any more bearing. I am just curious if anyone had any other problems, and if so did you solve it or do anything with it? Or did i just receive a bad bearing. Thanks alot

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

A lot of guys have had bearing problems over the years. It depends on how much you mow in a day and how hot the bearings get, as to how long a non greasable bearing will last. I have a Hustler S/Z that gave me a headach with spindle bearings until I made them greasable. Problem solved.
  3. jjdodgelawncare

jjdodgelawncare LawnSite Member

Thats what i am thinking i'll have to do is make them greaseable b/c i know thats where there going to get there money from. Did you go to a bearing builder or did you just drill and tap an insert in there? Thanks for you advice.
  4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Hustler has a grease fitting in thier spindle housing to fill the open area between the bearings with grease to eliminate moisture buildup. I just removed the inner seals and drilled a small hole in the outer seal on the bottom bearing to release grease when full. The spindles are greased from the bottom of the deck.
  5. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

Bad Boy warrants them for 2 years. I got a bad set on my 60". Two spindles froze up solid, after only 60 hours. They replaced all three spindles no charge.