Bad Boy customer service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Happy Frog, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

This afternoon (Saturday) I sent an email to Bad Boy customer service regarding a follow-up on some equipment I had ordered through my dealer.
    Shortly after (same Saturday afternoon), I received a phone call from the sales director on behalf of the CEO.
    It appears that the email I sent to the customer service was read by the CEO and he asked his sales director to call me right away instructing him to resolve any issues I had.
    End result is that first thing Monday morning, Bad Boy will send me what I needed with overnight delivery...
    IMHO this is the best customer service anyone can ask for and it sets an example for many out there to follow. :weightlifter:
    It shows that Bad Boy really stands behind his customers as well as behind his products and will work hard for your satisfaction.
    I thought you should know that... :drinkup:

2. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

Just out of curiosity, me being a Bad Boy owner and all, why doesn't Bad Boy offer a 2 year commercial warranty the way Scag, Dixie Chopper, Grasshopper, Hustler, and the other name brands do?

3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

LDH, I'm a dealer and I get asked this question alot. Basically, it comes down to the price point you're looking at. They offer so much more at each price point that from a business standpoint, it doesn't make alot of sense to up the warranty. Another thing to mention is that they didn't up their prices from 2007-2008, even though their cost went up. If you want more warranty, buy an extended warranty!

I think if they gave them a 2 year commercial warranty and just upped the price $250-$300, it wouldn't hurt sales. Folks that aren't familiar with Bad Boy's stellar customer service just look at the warranty on paper and think maybe Bad Boy just doesn't believe in their product. I think if they upped their warranty, there would be more sales for sure!

4. Happy Frog

The way I understand it is that they use their vendors original warranties as much as possible (engines, hydro's, pumps, seat, etc...), keeping their financial liability to a minimum.
    This is good strategy for any manufacturing company and especially when you need to invest most of your profits for growth (new space, equipment, employees...).
    This is the main difference between a mid-size and a large company: they have to keep their financial liability to a minimum for a number of years if they want to keep up with their growth.
    It has nothing to do with the quality of the products, it is only an accounting strategy to get financial support from the bankers.
    One can always buy an extended warranty if he so desires... :rolleyes:
    I would love them to offer a full two years commercial use warranty though...

5. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Basically you have to cut corners somewhere. The prices are cheaper for a reason...........

6. Happy Frog

Nothing to do with price. It is possible liability not cost.
    It has to do with how bankers evaluate your assets vs. liabilities for loans.
    It's kind of how insurances work too...

7. Mowinforaliving

Well I have to say, what you guys said makes alot of sense. I guess I never looked at it in that perspective. Thanks for the reply.

8. Happy Frog

For me, as a customer, the most important is the quality of the products and the customer service I get...
    In this regard, I am pleased to see how Bad Boy responded to my email.
    The only other company in this industry who has a customer service of this level is Better Outdoor Product (so I've heard).
    When you read some of the posts about warranty problems with big brand names it makes you appreciate even more the way Bad Boy and BOP treat their customers. :drinkup:

9. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

To me, a longer warranty represents the manufacturer's confidence in the equipment they are selling. I don't care if you have 1000 more features than the next guy. It doesn't matter if you don't/can't/won't stand behind them.

10. Mowinforaliving

Juan Deere are you a Bad Boy dealer?