Bad boy decision

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newblade, Apr 4, 2007.

1. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

I am thinking about getting either the pup with the 30hp Kohler or the 26 kaw liquid cooled, both with the 60" deck. Any comments at all about which of these would be better and why. Also any pictures of yards that you have mowed with these would be great. One concern is the electric lift, I would like a way to be able to lock in the deck height, anyone have any problems with that. :weightlifter:

Thanks

2. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

Does anyone like the liquid cooled engine? I just got an e-mail back from a dealer and he said that he didn't recommend the liquid cooled engine because of the chance of overheating.:confused: I always thought in my mind they would be better

3. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Just demo'd them both this past weekend and was very impressed with both. I will say my mistake was running the Lightning prior to the Pup. There is no comparison on ride comfort. The suspension works very well on smoothing out the ride. My plans are to go for the Lighting. Here is a link to my recent research including a write up on the test drive. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=177861&highlight=bad+boy

4. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

bump..........

5. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

bump......bump

6. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, if you don't take care of your equipment and let the coolant get too low then yes........but in all reality, it will outlast an air cooled engine without a doubt. They also run MUCH cooler overall and are quieter. I think he's feeding you a line of BS.

7. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

bump...bump

8. Rhinox29

Rhinox29 LawnSite Member

I have a 2005 Pup with a 27hp kohler. It all comes down to which you prefer. The only problem I have had to fix on my Kohler was a starter last year. As for the electric lift deck? I have had no problems. It stays where you put it.

9. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

The dealer is not feeding you a line. The reality of the situation is, in the right (or wrong, depending on how you look at it) conditions, Late summer/fall, dry grass, lots of chaff in the air, you can plug the sreen and radiator in just a few minutes use. The liquid cooled engine is much quieter though.

10. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

So which one is better? I know liquid cooled gasses aren't that common so how many people do you know have overheated one? I know that all the diesels are liquid, right?