bad boy lightning suspension seat adjustment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by djdb27, Jun 7, 2008.

1. djdb27

djdb27 LawnSite Member

looked at a lightning z today and noticed that there is a lip bent upwards where the seat mounts that prevents the seat from full forward travel. does the seat need to be shimmed where it mounts to raise it above the lip so you can get full forward travel?

2. Illini_Fan

Illini_Fan LawnSite Member

The seat itself is already mounted more forward than most others. I am six feet tall and would not want to go further forward. The large footrest should be easy to reach for most. I suppose you could shim it up if you really need to get up there.

3. djdb27

djdb27 LawnSite Member

there is more forward travel in the levers on the bad boy compared to the exmark lazer z. because of the limited forward travel on the bad boy seat and the extended forward travel in the levers you need to lean forward in the seat to extend the levers.

4. chrisduryea

chrisduryea LawnSite Member

I have made a slight modification to mine because of my wife who I can't get off it!!! Because she now loves mowing and is shorter than me, she wasn't able to fully get her feet on the floor panel especially when going up hill. It was funny waching her mow as she couldn't touch so just had her feet up in the air, the biggest grin on her face :) I said she could slow down and wouldn't have that issue.

Her reply "Slow down? Why would I want to do that. This is way too much fun!!!"

So I had some small alluminium spacers made which raised the seat.
    Yeah I'm waiting for the remarks. Bad Boy mowers already sit so much higher than such and such brand. Think of it this way I raise the seat by 12mm (1/2inch) Well with a shorter operator their overall centre of gravity is still lower than a taller person who is going to weigh more. I can still run rings around every other mower that I have gone up against even with a higher machine. It just takes skill and brains to operate it safely on hills.

Anyway back to the topic.
    The benefit of this is I have been able to get the seat to slide 37mm (1.5inches) further forward. This means she can now get both feet firmly planted. The only other thing I had to do was change the height of the levers which is just an adjustment.

I had them made out of solid round aluminium bar. About 39mm (1.5inch) in diameter.
    12mm (0.472inch) thich front one
    9mm (0.354inch) thich rear one.

I'll post some pictures when I work it out. Otherwise I can email them to anyone.

This info has also been forwarded to the factory to hopefully take up as an option they can have for shorter people.

Cheers
    Chris

5. chrisduryea

Here are some of the pics.
    Spacer Image 1.jpg

Spacer Image 2.jpg

Spacer Image 4.jpg

Spacer Image 3.jpg
    Chris

Spacer Image 1.jpg

Spacer Image 2.jpg

Spacer Image 4.jpg

Spacer Image 3.jpg

6. djdb27

djdb27 LawnSite Member

by supporting just the front and back of the frame of the seat is there any chance of the frame bending? you can get 1/2" x 3/4" bar at most diy centers that could be cut and drilled to support the whole length of the frame.

7. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

oh, it sure wouldn't hurt. Better to spend an extra couple bucks to be sure, than have to spend $50 on a new set of tracks!

8. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I've never had anyone complain about the lip honestly. This is the first I've heard of it. Now I have to go look at this thing to see what you're talking about!

Just curious, how tall are you?

9. chrisduryea

I thought about doing a bar the whole length, but this was the first version and seems to be working well. 'Need is the mother for invention.' I'll probably get a full length bar one of these days.

I'm 5'7" my wife is 5'2" and so is my neighbour who always likes borrowing it to mow for some reason. I just don't think his Simplicity Z 20hp 52" deck cuts it anymore after the riding the lightning.

10. djdb27

djdb27 LawnSite Member

i am 5'11 and my wife is 5'7