Bad Boy Lightning Z 26hp L.C. Kawasaki Maintenance Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowinforaliving, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

This one's for TB8100, Retro, and you other fellow Bad Boy owners. I want to change out/flush the coolant from my radiator on my engine. Any tips or advice on how to do this. I haven't looked closely at it yet, but am sure there's a hose or drain valve on it. Just wanted to get some advice before I went to the garage this afternoon. Also, what's the oil filter info on the engine so I can go to Autozone and grab one. Thanks. Also, refill with half and half like a truck or what???

radiator.jpg

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I'm going to have to get with one of my techs on the coolant flush as I've never done one personally. The oil filter # for a WIX is 1394. You should be able to WIX filters at Napa, Autozone, O'Reilly's etc. Or if any of your local stores don't have that, they can cross it.

Definitely fill half and half with coolant/distilled water. This provides the best lubricity while still offering ample protection from freezing/block crackage.

3. Mowinforaliving

Ok. Thanks. Get back with me when you find out about the flush. I'm trying to get things ready. Should be getting back in the field by the end of next month up here with clean ups and what not.

4. Mowinforaliving

5. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Does'nt Kawasaki tend to void or frown on warranties on engines with aftermarket filters?

6. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, I would get the factory filters for it, I think they are around the same price, and if you don't want to go to the dealer the factory will send it to you.

7. Mowinforaliving

Do you know anything about the coolant flush Retro?

8. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Why flushing the coolant?
    Your mower is less than two years old and doesn't have any time put on it...

9. Mowinforaliving

When you guys change the oil in your 26hp L.C. Kaw, does oil run all over the machine, down the deck, up under around the engine block and that right side pump/wheel motor?? I know they come with a hose but there's several seconds there from the time you pull the plug out until the time you stick the hose in the drain hole. I've got a mess out in the garage now and have every time ive changed it. My Scag has a brass tube with a valve and a fitting for the hose. You just slide the hose on it, turn the valve, and its all nice and clean. Is my Bad Boy supposed to have one of these on it and my dealer didnt put it on or took it off, etc... Just curious if im the only one who has a mess when changing the oil. It ran down my clutch and everything.

10. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

No. Bad Boy supplies their dealers with Oregon oil filters. I'm all about going to the dealer for parts, but if it's something small like an oil filter, why drive x amount of miles when an auto parts store is right there? Ideally, you should have a case of oil, filters, and any fluids so as to save trips each time you service your machine (spend less time driving and more time mowing).