Bad Boy Mower Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by timber132007, May 31, 2008.

1. timber132007

timber132007 LawnSite Member

Can you get a foot assist for the deck on the AOS diesel series mower? If not, when do you think they will offer it?

2. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I have the 08 catalog, and was woundering the same thing...does:usflag:nt say if it does or not??????????

3. timber132007

Local dealer says the foot assist is not offered on the AOS diesel series. Could someone confirm this?

4. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

hang on----retrodog will be slobbering in on the subject.....

5. timber132007

----bump----

6. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

the answer is yes and no. Certain dealers offer them, certain ones don't. We offer them on ours, but you have to move the from weight from under the floorboard to the front axle tube (u bolt or slide into the receiver). These mowers have a 150# weight on the front for balance. Some dealers don't wanna mess with relocating the weight, so they just say they don't offer them.

7. timber132007

tb8100, I'm pretty confused right now about the foot assist. My dealer says no and your saying some dealers do. I read in another thread you said that the assist has to be ordered when the mower is ordered and it cannot be put on after the fact. I noticed in the dealer showroom a mower that had sold marked on it with a foot assist. I'm not sure which type of mower it was but it wasn't an AOS series. It looked to me like there would have to be a hole there for the pedal arm to come through. The mowers in the showroom without the assist did not have a hole or knockout that I noticed. I guess my question is if you order an AOS diesel with the foot assist, if it possible to do that, why wouldn't they move the weight at the factory or figure placing it differently when assembling the mower. Does Bad Boy offer the diesel series with a factory installed foot assist as an option or are some dealers retrofitting the foot assist on the AOS diesel series once they receive it. What is confusing me is if my dealer orders the mower with the foot assist why would he have to move the counter weight to make the assist operable if it was ordered with an assist. In the 2008 Bad Boy catalog it shows the foot assist as a $179.00 option but there is no reference to what series it is offered on. Please clarify this for me I want to purchase a 35/72 AOS diesel but not having a foot assist in some areas I cut is not an feasible option.

8. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Sorry, I guess my posts were worded a bit cnfusing weren't they? :laugh:

The reason Bad Boys have to be ordered with a foot assist is cradled on the tab that the foot assist linkage is mounted to. This "cradle", for lack of a better term, is very time consuming to swap out after the fact, so its best to order it that way. When you order a mower with the foot assist, this cradle is installed at the time of assembly, as wel as a different floorboard. Your dealer has to attach the foot assist assembly to the frame rail and run a linkage to this rear cradle. Problem is, on an AOS, there's a weight bolted to the frame where the foot asset needs to bolt, plus it blocks the floor slot on the floorboard. With the weight out of the way, it's just like installing it on a Lightning series mower.

I've already been down this road with the factory. They don't like to move the weight for aesthetic reasons. They don't understand how crucial this feature is, and I will bring it up at the dealer meeting this year. Supposedly thy are revamping the foot assist. Hopefully to make it fit the ZT
    and diesels easier...

9. timber132007

Thanks for the clarification on that. I understand now. How much time roughly does it take to move the weight? Is there any way you could post a picture of one with the weight moved. I was just wondering how it looked since you mentioned they didn't do it because of aesthetics. If its too much trouble to post a picture I understand I was just curious how it looked with the weight moved. Is it noticable or look out of place? Also where and how do you prefer to mount the weight? Sorry I'm asking so many questions.

10. Turf Gnome

Turf Gnome LawnSite Member

The AOS series uses a power assisted electronic deck lift. There is a toggle up/down switch on the right side of the operator controls. There is a height cut gauge next to the right side of the floor board. No need for a foot assist when you can use electronic lifts!