Bad Boy Mowers wins Mid Size Business of the Year Award

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by retrodog, Feb 10, 2008.

1. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Just an update for the Bad Boy fans and haters. BBM won the NEA Mid-Size Business of the Year Awards for 2008. BBM continues to grow and innovate every year announcing an expansion producing their own Multi Terrain Vehicle for 2009. They also recieved the Rookie of the Year award from Tractor Supply Company which does business with over 1800 vendors. This company looks a very strong competitor in the commercial mowing industry with sales growths upwards of 300% a year. I have heard nothing but good things coming from this company, and I expect to see nothing but good things in the future. So far I am making ripples in my area offering their mowers for their unbelievable MSRP's. Right now they boast the strongest frame and deck in the industry, and there is no other brand around me that can offer a similiar product for the same price. The company and their product is something that everyone in the business should check out.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Again everyone has there own opinion on the frame and deck!
  3. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh: Big fan huh..?
  4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Bad Boy has done an impressive job, no doubt about it. As they continue to refine their mowers and get more dealers, I think they'll only get more popular. Before 2006, they were nonexistent in Texas. Now, there are some 10 dealers and more sprouting up all the time. Thankfully, they're maintaining dealer territory and really treating us well.
  5. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

if you can buy it at tsc it wont EVER be on my showroom floor.EVER
  6. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

You can only buy the ZT 60" 26hp Briggs their I believe. I don't mind it, I still get the service work, and usually they see it there and end up buying from me.
  7. wall

wall LawnSite Member

What is the NEA,,,, North East Arkansas?
  8. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess if I was a lawnmower dealer I would push my product also. I have looked at and demoed alot of different mowers this winter. You say that the Badboy is so much cheaper. Its like any other mower out there. It has to do with the dealer and profit. I know, I know their price is posted on there website. It still don't stop the dealers from charging setup fees,delivery fees, etc. You may just charge msrp or "below" but they aren't that much cheaper here. Just about every post about a mower on lawnsite we hear about the Badboy lineup. I like these post because they usually make good debates. Good and bad. I have had some of my posts deleted. If you have read my post on here you know I am a Scag man. I also sold all of my Scags. (reasons in different thread). So I decided to give every mower in my area a open minded demo. you can compare mowers all day. There is going to be things certain ones have and others don't. Does this make them "better"? I think that if your going to "look" at Badboy then you should look at Scag. For every option that Badboy offers Scag has one to counter if not more. Yes Scag is more expensive but we all know you do get what you pay for when it comes to commercial mowers. If I put ROPS,foot lift,flat free front tires, extra warranty ,(2years parts and labor),and everything else that I want on my mower how much will the Badboy be? Probably cheaper? But if I want a 29 dfi kawasaki, or driveshaft, how much would that be? There is so much hype about the Badboy line up on here and its because of dealers. One which is an operator also. Also Badboy is a sponsor on this sight. I am no dealer, just a lawncare provider and Scag is not a sponsor. So why can someone be so brand loyal when there isn't anything in it for them?? Because it is has to do with the quality of the product. It's as simple as that. Like I said before I have demoed alot of brands and I haven't found that "quality" in any other machine I have tried. That's why Scag will be the mower on my trailer this spring and for years to come.
  9. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

What benefit do you see in a shaft drive?
    As far as I know, there is no problems associated with the main belt between the engine to the deck other than normal wear. Belts problems seem to always be with the deck blades belts and Scag use a belt on their decks like others.
  10. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Firstly, there isn't anything in it for Retrodog and myself (or Happy Frog, Man of Stihl, and other proud Bad Boy owners/operators). Nobody pays us or gives us special benefits for posting on here. This is FREE. Frankly, I learn so much on this forum, that this is my way of giving back to the members- I offer as much information as I possibly can about these mowers.

I'm a Scag dealer and they don't compare to Bad Boy in most cases. They have innovations and are built extremely well, but can't compare to Bad Boy at any given price point. Scag's advantage is a slightly lower COG (more so on the Turf Tiger than anything else), adjustable control arms, the Velocity deck, and greasable spindles (some would argue this isn't an advantage, but some folks won't buy anything but greasable spindles).

Bad Boy's advantage is in creature comforts- more legroom, suspension that rides absolutely amazing, innovations, strong frame and unusually thick deck, and much more horsepower, all at an unprecedented price. An extended warranty is only a few hundred more dollars anyway (as I've brought up in countless other threads).

Let's talk about the Bad Boy warranty since you brought it up. Scag offers a 2 year complete warranty on the deck and spindles, and it's parts only for the 3rd year. It's a 2 year parts and labor warranty on everything else. Bad Boys have a lifetime warranty on the frame and leading edge of the deck, a 2 year parts and labor warranty on the engine, pumps, wheel motors, blade clutch, and electric deck actuator. Everything else (excluding wearables) is covered by a 1 year parts and labor warranty. So what parts are they? the front casters (which are bulletproof and have Timken tapered roller bearings anyway), the rest of the deck (which is nearly all one piece of steel, so very few welds to break anyway), and cables/linkages. The warranty is actually better on the Bad Boy in some cases. All of the parts that will likely fail due to defects and actually cost any amount of money have about the same coverage. Oh, Bad Boy could have a third year of parts only coverage, but why not just buy another year or two of parts AND labor coverage for another $300-$400? Mike, you've never had a case on the warranty coverage.