1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bad Boy mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robbo521, Aug 4, 2006.

1. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

can anybody tell me if they are good bad or what do you think.i was looking at the 30hp with 48'' cut.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I'll bite.....bad boy mower...really good name! I guess you got your answer!
  3. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

what is it to bite?they are real,just asking but always one in the bunch.
  4. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

They look like a Husqvarna on steroids!

I would be very ocncerned about parts and service issues as this is a very small company....I would personally stick with the name brands.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

30 hp for a 48" cut... that's just waaaaay overkill. Nothing like burning double the fuel to do the job.... Unless you are trying to mulch foot tall wet grass, and even then I doubt they have a perfect way to transfer the 30hp to the blades other than a BELT which will invaribly slip and burn up before the engine bogs down.
  6. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Why would they put the 30hp on it if belts broke?:hammerhead: Obviously they haven't had problems.
  7. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

they are a well built mower and the sides open up where you can get easy acess to all the stuff . We went to Batesville ,Ark where they are made and they took us a a tour of their MFG site . We was really impressed by what I saw . and learned about the BAD BOY MOWERS . Twj
  8. govols

govols LawnSite Member

We demoed 2 different styles. They seemed as if you were sitting very high (we use scags) so I dont believe they would do well on banks. The controls were real jerky. They do cut well -- but not as well as the new velocity decks. Just my opinion.
  9. Rhinox29

Rhinox29 LawnSite Member

Since I'm one of the few on here who actually uses Badboy equipment, I will give you what I know. I have a 52 inch Pup with a 27 hp Kohler that I have been running for almost a year now. Personally I could not be happier. Built and runs like a beast with plenty of power and handles and cuts well. Now just because I love them does not mean you might. Test it first, they are what my dealer say's is a rugged man's mower:weightlifter: .They are not for everyone.The controls do take some getting use to very responsive. But once you get it down you can glide on that baby. I have plenty of power with my 27 hp. so 30 hp. on a 48 may be more than you need. But Badboy tends to max power their equipment. Other than regular maint. have had no problems so far. I demo'd Hustler, dixie chop, scag, exmark, snapper, J. Deere, Gravely and country clipper before I made up my mind. They all have their believers on this site. I just happen to prefer Badboy. Make sure your dealer is good no matter what you purchase that will make a world of difference. Hope this helps.
  10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

That unit looks to be very heavy built, why do you think they don't use the rubber discharge chute? It is always noted that the Dixie and Hustler are the fastest but I see the Bad Boy has a mowing speed of 15 mph also, I can mow at 15 mph on good ground and do a good job, how does the Bad Boy do cutting at top speed? How about cutting steeper slopes it looks a little taller than some mowers, does it handle wet grass decent no mower is designed to cut wet grass very well even if they claim to. Is maintenance easy on this mower, how many grease fittings and do they have a good design for draining the oil and not getting it all over everything. This mower looks to be as solid as a rock, is there anything other than the rubber discharge chute that you think might be improved. What could these different Bad Boy mowers be bought for I have seen the list prices, also do you know or have heard anything about the 35 hp Vanguard engine? Thanks