Bad Boy Mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by doublelung, Oct 18, 2007.

1. doublelung

doublelung LawnSite Member

I'm no pro like most of you but I would like a commercial grade mower. Can anyone tell me the pros and more importantly the cons of Bad Boy mowers. I'm also looking at the Gravely 152M XDZ. The Gravely dealer talked trash on the Bad Boy pumps, hydrogear 10A, verses the Gravely Hydrogear 12cc/ hydrogear 15E motor. This all sounds like Greek to me.

2. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

They tend to do that when they want to make a sell.

3. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

If your Dealer has good service, I do not think you can go wrong with a Bad Boy.

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know which Bad Boy mower you are considering but the Lightening model probably can't be beat for the price. Gravely has an excellent mower also or they would not have been around for this long.

I can't comment on anything but the Lightening model but it is a good mower for the money, just make sure you have good service.

5. skinnydogz

skinnydogz LawnSite Member

I purchased a Bad Boy early this spring...after mowing this summer I began having a problem with the mow and the deck adjustment....I called my dealer and then Bad Boy and they said, "we'll build you a new one and send it to you".......a week and a half later I have a new machine..........WOW, the Bad Boy people stand behind their machines all the way....I would suggest going with them over any other as I have been treated great since my purchase

6. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I have a lightning 52in with a 26hp liquid-cooled kawasaki. Bought it about 2 months ago, mowed a few yards and a cemetary with it. After getting swamped at the gas station with people looking at it, I drove down 70 from hugo at about 70mph....heard a pop and a screetching sound....looked in the rear view, and saw my new :( BB flipping end over end on the highway. Needless to say I was pretty bummed out. Just payed $7495 cash and got a bagger system installed. The bagger was pretty trashed, but the mower did not have one piece or bolt come off. The 5 guage steel deck bent a little, and the front fork bent completely. We flipped it over, cranked it up, and drove it back on the trailer. Called the factory, they said would I mind driving it up? They put a new deck and new front piece on for me. I am now a happy dealer with a scratched up demo! So far I have been taking mine around to city offices and landscaping co's that I know, and have sold one, or got a promise to buy one to every single person that has rode on this thing. I will be happy to give you any info I can. I was mowing with grasshopper 722d's that I paid $12000 for. I have been through many issues personnally with my hoppers, and I really believe I won't have any of the same issues with Bad Boy.

7. puppypaws

They should have taken pictures, described exactly what happened and used it for advertisment as being the toughest mower on the market.

8. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah thats what I told the owner, he said that I have a hell of a testimony when I'm selling these things. I have shown it to everybody that has shown interest in the mowers, and it is actually one of my demos. The people that pulled over when it happened couldn't believe that it came off my trailer going that fast. I am just lucky nobody was directly behind me cause it probably would have gone through a vehicle. I am on my way today to get a 28 foot enclosed car hauler so I won't be so stressed out everytime I load something up now. My wife makes fun of me when it takes me 20 minutes to load a mower on my trailer now! I have straps running everywhere!

9. puppypaws

Yes, that is a lot of stress, enclosed would make you feel a great deal more at ease.