Bad Boy Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zero_turn_mowers, Nov 19, 2003.

1. zero_turn_mowers

zero_turn_mowers LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone run the Bad Boy Mowers, I have thought about buying one but havent heard any feedback on them, I want to hear the "Pro's" and "Con's"

2. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

3. lawnsnake

lawnsnake LawnSite Member

I have 03 bad boy and really love it...I have no complaints...I heard their 04 model drives even better and is priced very reasonable...I would recomend demoing one, before you make a decision... :gunsfirin
  4. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

Hey Raptor,
    I also have a Bad Boy and absolutley love it.
    Beautiful cut and easy to clean and maintain.
    Awesome machines. I hear they are coming out with a cat deisel model.
    Definitely dont count them out before you buy.
    Check out their website.
  5. zero_turn_mowers

I saw them at the Expo in Louisville Ky back in Oct. and spoke with a rep. from Bad Boy but never got to demo one but I have got to say I was impressed with the workmanship and quailty of the machaine, the rep. invited me to come and tour the factory in Batesville Ar. which is only about 2 1/2 hours from me, I think I will take him up on his offer, but I just wanted to hear from some of you that have had hands on.

6. rwleigh

rwleigh Banned

I have a partner that I have teamed up with to do leaves, he just bought a 31hp 72" bad boy and gets it this monday. I will let you know how it does compared to my Dixie Choppers and my Bladerunner! I am currently demoing a megamax72" I should be able to give you a report on how bad boy compares to it as well!
  7. zero_turn_mowers

Thanks alot rwleigh, where in SW MO are you located..

8. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

We run 2 bad boy and 1 is a 03 the other is a 04 all the difference in the world . Put MEG MO blades on yet a lot better. In our business we get to use all mowers and have not found a mower to come close to the BAD BOY. To work on or to mow with they are the very top of the line.
  9. Bad Boy Mowers

Bad Boy Mowers LawnSite Member

We appreciate feedback from every customer that owns or uses a Bad Boy mower. Some of the changes that we have made over the past few years have come directly from people who run our machine and let us know how to improve it. I do have a few points I would like to make and they are as follows:

The Bad Boy that you used this weekend is a 72" and is said to be too heavy. This machine weighs 1318 pounds. Comparable machines such as the eXmark and Toro both weigh within 40 pounds of the Bad Boy. That difference can be attributed to the 1/4" thick steel deck that Bad Boy uses. I don't believe the extra 40 pounds is an issue. Any ZTR that is used on soggy ground or is used improperly will rut a yard.

Striping kits are not available for the Bad Boy at this time. We are currently working on other attachments that have more customer demand such as a grasscatcher. Eventually, as more people request it, we will offer a striping kit.

The blow out on the deck, I assume, is the discharge area. I would suggest using a different blade, such as Meg-Mo or Gator blades. Even with these blades, you will get a lot of debris flying around if you are attempting to mulch piles of leaves. I assume this will be true regardless of which mower brand you use. We do offer a mulching plate that fits over the discharge chute that should help to keep grass clippings or leaves underneath.

I have never heard of a consumer complaint on our anti-scalping deck. The deck floats on chains and has six anti-scalping rollers. The rollers are on each corner, underneath and on the front of the deck. If there is a better way to situate the wheels then please post it here and we will test the new design.

The 72" Bad Boy that you used has a very wide wheelbase and a lowered seat frame to give it a low center of gravity. When we tested that particular mower it performed very well on slopes. I would not hesitate to compare it to any other machine on the market.

Thanks again for the feedback and let me know if you have any other questions or comments.
  10. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

I have a 52" and have not had a problem with scalping or rutting.
    I am very pleased with my machine.
    I would however like a striping kit of some sort, and am currently working on a couple of designs myself.