Bad Boy or Dixie Chopper?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tlojohnson, Jan 11, 2010.

1. tlojohnson

tlojohnson LawnSite Member

I have 2 acres to mow and it's flat.
    The Dixie Chopper dealer/service is 10 minutes from my house
    The Bad Boy is 45 minutes
    I'm leaning toward a Bad Boy but worried about the service being far away

I'm willing to spend between $4,000 and $7,500

I want something that will cut fast and last me a long time

Any input would be much appreciated
    Thanks

2. djchiodo3

djchiodo3 LawnSite Senior Member

Own both kinds of mowers. Go with dixie because of dealer location. Would suck to drive 90 minutes to get a belt or something for the mower. You could drive to Dixie dealer, get part and still be done mowing before getting back from Bad Boy dealer.(mowers owned:Bad Boy Lighting 52" 26hp Kaw/Dixie 66" 35hp yanmar diesel)

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Either mower will cut just 2 acres weekly for years and years and years to come. This is a case of whichever dealer is better or more convenient.

4. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i never rode a bad boy but seen them but can tell you this if your mowing flat areas get the dixie out of these 2 mowers. dixie's in open flat areas are hard to beat

5. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

Out here in nowhereland 45minutes is not that far away....

6. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

Dixie chopper is overated and overpriced. They don't stripe good and parts for them are expensive. I think they are ugly and will never own one. I have seen so many peoples yards ruined or killed by these mowers. Check out the new mz series from badboy. 2999 for a 48 inch cut.

7. macgyver

macgyver LawnSite Member

I have a Dixie with over 5000 hrs. It's a 23 hp Kolher, I've installed one set of head gaskets and replaced one inner spindle,as far as dixie not being able to stripe it's obvious you don't have a clue! I presently own 3 Dixies, they are very dependable and only require regular maintenence.I have had no experience with Bad Boy! UGLY has made my company alot of profit. Just My 2 cents

8. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

glad you like your chopper

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I would really like to know more about the chopper. I have read all I could on them and would like to hear more form owners.

so far, from my research, they sound like very good machines.
    I'm running exmarks now.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm another very happy owner. I have just under 1100 hours on mine and I've done literally nothing to it outside of routine maintenance. It even has the original belts on it. Although I'm not entirely happy with it's performance in crabgrass it will cut every other kind of grass I've encountered (northern and southern) very well. I am talking about the Classic type mower as I have no experience with the newer, more normal type designed, mowers. There are significant differences between the Classics and the new mowers.