1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bad boy outlaw xp mower review over time

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by THORNTON SERVICES LLC, Apr 2, 2013.

THORNTON SERVICES LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Helo everyone i just got this new bad boy outlaw xp 72 inch deck , it has the vanguard engine , seat upgrade , i added no flats on the front and more agressive tires for the rear , also has a rops kit added and i personally did not like the wing so i requested that it be switched for the basket wich i am still not for shure i like it eather but better than a wing and serves a purpose i guess.
    The goal of this thread is to have an actual review over time of the performance of the mower in commercial use. Before buying this mower i recieved very mixed opinions on the site regarding the brand bad boy and there products. Seems like people are eather completly against them or love them , makes it very hard to make a educated decision on the product , so the dealer here is good i am taking a chance and will let everyone know my opinions on the quality , value and were this mower compares to others , i have personally owned john deer and cub cadet commercial zero turn mowers , so hopefully i can give a decent review over time of this product.

equipment spring 2013.jpg

equipment spring 2013 - 2.jpg

Inputs & opinions on the basket????? I am seriously considering taking it off , but they recomend having something on there to protect the air cleaner canister , is this needed?? All my other mowers have the canister sticking up and i have yet to brake one. Does anyone know about this?????

Also i wanted to say i ordered it with the stripping kit , but i took it off because we back up over alot of curbs at our commercial accounts and it in my opinion would brake from the damage and catch on stuff , i prefer a the piece of rubber strip type stripping kits they are more durable , just a note for anyone who may be ordering one , what it came with was basically a bunch of heavy rollers on a bar that rolled across the ground and to raise you had to chain up off the ground , im shure it would produce good stripes but was not for me.
  3. clubmech

clubmech LawnSite Member
    from WA

How do you like the Outlaw XP?

Used the mower today for the first time on a large yard , it did ok , the steering response on the levers is different than the other mowers I have had so I do not know yet if this is a bad or good thing , the cut was good , overall not bad for first time , the rubber isolators helped with the uneven bumpy areas.
  5. clubmech

clubmech LawnSite Member
    from WA

steering was jerky to me and the XP would start bouncing and increase surges (not because of controls, just hit a harmonic).

Also, seemed a little slow.
  6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I see your not happy with one brand
    JD Tank Badgirl
  7. minilawn

minilawn LawnSite Member
    from CO

Nice gear! I like your truck, looks sharp
  8. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

Nice to see someone else running the new Deere walk behind!

Yea I really like the deer walk behind probally the best walk behind I have ever used , everything is adjustable , honestly cannot say a bad thing about it.

Yea with the bad boy I want to give it some more time to make shure its not just a issue where I am just not use to it , but the controls are definatly different in the response catagory , the boucing is a problem on rough terrain going fast but its better than the jarring I think , I will keep the review updated , especially once I have some hours on the machine to make it a fair review.

An update on the outlaw xp , i have been impressed with the rubber isolators suspension , on rough yards it makes a big difference , the cut remains decent honestly the one negative i have to throw out there is the steering controls , they are different than the controls on other high end mowers and they seem to cause more fatigue , for instance when you push them forward they stick forward till you pull them back , i am used to the levers returning to nuetral on there on and i believe the steering is not as comfratable as that on other brands. The machine is a little larger than some other brands but should be easy to work on , everything seems laid out to be easy to maintenance. Also the transport lock set up on the mower is kinda anoying , wish it was easier to release instead of having to bend over and hold up while lowering the deck. The mower speed seems good and the power is good , i have not been able to keep straight lines on long runs with it very easy i think this is caused by the steering but may be me just not as used to it as my other mowers. At this point i think the mower is a decent vaule for the money but if i was going to do it over again i would spend the extra and buy a jd or gravely just my feeling as of now and that may change as i get more hours on the machine and maybe a little more used to it , now have about 20 hours on machine.