Bad Boy Pics

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 12thKY, Jun 2, 2007.

1. MS_SURVEYOR

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

First off 12thKY, Thank You! One of the best post about Bad Boy's I've read. I just got a Pup with the 30hp Kohler and a 52 inch deck. I love the Pup! The 52" deck comes with

0.250" x 2" x 18", High Lift blades

it cuts St Augustine great. But my pasture grade yard being Bahia grass and junk weeds, not great. Not bad. I feel like my junk could be cut better. I was looking at your pictures of the Bad Boy blade to the Exmark blade. The Exmark is wider. I feel I could use more lift. I found these 2 blades,

High Lift blades
    • 18" Long
    • 5/8" Center Hole
    • 3" Wide
    • .203" Thick

Bad Boy 52" Rolled Air-Lift Blade
    • 18" Long
    • 5/8" Center Hole
    • 2 1/2" Wide
    • .203" Thick

What would be your advice?

One more question. Does your 30hp Kohler always throw a puff of smoke when first starting up? I've read where some do. And some don't. It just drive me crazy!:dizzy:

Thanks,

ms

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

The little to no build up in the deck is normal for a new mower. Heck, my 61 V+ Scag was the same way when new. It started building up in the deck after the paint wore off the underside. Your BB will get this way too in due time. Also, you compared cut of a new shinny Scag at a church near you. You can't base this off of what someone else has cut for the simple fact they could easily have the deck set up incorrect. When set up properly, the cut from a Scag is hard to beat. :D
    [​IMG]

3. 12thKY

12thKY LawnSite Member
    from ky

This is a old thread, so a little out of date. I developed a problem with that Pup, I now have a Lightning 60". The Pup I had was a 60" also. I would say the wider blade of the two MAY be better. I buy my blades from my dealer that sells ExMark also,so I not sure on the sizes.

4. 12thKY

12thKY LawnSite Member
    from ky

My Bad Boy has some hours on it now, and still little build up. Not to say that there isn't any build up, but not near as much as the ExMark 48" TriVantage I had. I've gained a foot of deck and lost by over half the amount of build up I have under the deck.

I'm not saying the Scag is a bad mower, just saying I can get the same or better results for ALOT less money.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I sounded like a bit of a smart a$$ in some of the earlier post 12thKY, sorry about that. Glad you are liking your new Bad Boy. I like the longer sails on blades also.

6. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of issue did you have with your pup? Did you trade it in on the lightning, sell it, or did the factory do something to help you out?

7. brucec

brucec LawnSite Senior Member

After reading this post I went down to my exmark dealer and picked up a set of the exmark hi lift blades. The part # is 103-2530 for the blades. They were a little longer but clear the deck all the way around and clear each other. I cut with them for about an hour and I think they are better than stock, more lift and better dispersion. I checked my RPM's and wide open without the blades engaged it runs 3390 with the blades engaged it drops to 3360 and about 3340 to 3320 actually mowing. What is the 32 vanguard supposed to run and how do you turn up the rpm's? Puppypaws? Retrodog? Thanks?

8. JABBERS

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

You can get that kicker piece from exmark. Drill some holes and you would have it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  9. 12thKY

12thKY LawnSite Member
    from ky

Spilt milk if I took offense about it you would have heard from me about it lol Don't sweat it Thumbs Up

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  10. JABBERS

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Sorry about previous post. You can buy that kicker (baffle) piece from exmark and its not that expensive.