bad boy prices?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by man of stihl, Feb 9, 2008.

1. man of stihl

man of stihl LawnSite Senior Member

i just talked to my local dealer about my mower i was ordering. he said that the prices went up and he didnt add the set up fee and shipping fee yet.

i still want to buy this mower and i understand where he is coming from.

bad boys price is still much better than a scag or exmark.

anyone who sells bad boy on here?

2. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Not another bad boy thread! lol!

3. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I sell em', what did you need to know? I know they went up a little on shipping this year.

4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I'm also a dealer. Retrodog's right, freight was up, but the mower costs did not change. Now if he was on a cash plan then he was getting a discount for paying cash, so if he went from cash to a floor plan, his cost went up 2-3%. Also, some dealers mark them up differently with freight, setup charges, and what have you. Some mark them up a bit over list. Really and truly they can get away with it because list price is dirt cheap compared to the other mower brands out there.

I'll be honest, we sell right at MSRP and don't charge for freight or setup (though we probably should). We may be the only dealer doing that... :laugh:

5. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey TB what do you do, use hot shots to go get your machines or do it yourself, what??

6. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Right now we use Bad Boy's freight service, which is fairly affordable. We're looking at alternatives though (hotshots perhaps).

7. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

I see. I was just curious because I used to hot shot for a foundry up here before I started mowing. I don't have a CDL, but my wife ran the office so it was kind of a low profile deal. I made good money, the foundry saved alot of money, and everything went smooth. I would run parts to get exrayed in Tulsa, go to Ditch Witch, Enid and stuff like that when they needed a pallet of parts delivered in a hurry or a pinch.

8. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Hey TB, I charge usually charge the shipping on the bigger units (30hp pup and up). With the ZT and the 23hp Pup it just seems like to much. I would recommend charging the freight, and then filling their tanks up for them. People seem to really appreciate that. There is not much room there, and every little bit that we eat hurts us in the long run. I don't know if you saw my post the other day, but my customer that I sold his 08 Hopper for, bought his Hopper for $12000 or so, they loaded it on his trailer for him, and when he got home to pull it off the trailer it ran out of diesel. Could you imagine how he felt? He was amazed when I delivered his 2 machines to his house (in a covered trailer), and they were topped off with fuel. Mind, it wasn't cheap to fill up a 14.5 gallon pup, and an 18 gallon diesel, but it made a world of difference in the sale. Everyone expects to pay a set-up and destination on about any big item they buy now. Some people call it a paperwork fee, or document fee, but its always put in somehow. That $175 or $200 bucks extra per machine that you eat adds up pretty quick. I could understand eating it if we had a mark-up like some of the other dealers have, but we don't with Bad Boy. They are one of the few companies that actually posts their prices everywhere...lol.

9. man of stihl

ya i completely understand. the prices he gave me werent set in stone. i understand shipping things arnt free and that settin up the machines arnt free either. i have no clue about the bagger install or the tank of fuel but those things sure would be nice. i will give him a call this week and finalize everything up

10. man of stihl

do most dealers install the bagger units for free? i wouldnt imagine it would be very hard to do if he didnt. im sure i could do it myself.

what do you guys do?