1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Boy Stripe Kit, first custom mod!

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by dwost, Mar 13, 2009.

1. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok gents, here is my first mod on my new rig. I took the inspiration from MJR 63 and his recreation of the big league lawn setup. Mine is similar, however, has a few additional options. You can find his original post here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=192602&highlight=boat+striper+kit

The big differences are heavier gauge brackets and larger superstrut bracing. I also gave it a quick coat of paint and built a hanging kit for it as well as a stop so it won't kick back to the wheels if elevated to a point where it will swing forward. I used 1/8" cable, ferrules, and the hitch receiver. My next enhancement will be a remote lift, stay tuned!! Here are the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fazzy815-66

fazzy815-66 LawnSite Senior Member

s w e e t !

3. dwost

Thanks! Forgot to add one in the raised position.

[​IMG]

4. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Looks awesome! Gotta see some pictures of them stripes too!

5. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

nice!!!!!!

6. dwost

Thanks guys, yes I know I'm chomping at the bit to get this thing on some grass!! I'll definitely post up some pics of the results as well as some feedback on cut quality. I know there are many on here interested in how the BB's perform on northern grasses. I'll do my best to provide an accurate account of its performance. I'm putting down my Dimension tomorrow!! GROW BABY GROW!!!!

7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

How does it do when backing up? Seems like it would catapult? I would like to add one to my Hustler.

8. dwost

Absolutely no idea........LOL I just stuck it on tonight! From what I've read/heard from several on here running this version or the actual BLL model it works quite well. The key is the independant wheels allowing both forward/reverse movement when turning. I added the cable so if I were to go over a crest or somewhere where the rear end of the mower would lift to a point where the unit could pivot back under the weels it will keep the unit from doing so. Should work fine but I'll post back once I give it a test run.

If anyone is interested in building one of these you can pick up the bunk rollers dirt cheap from these guys. They were great to deal with and very fast shipping! http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=530R-5PDF&eq=&Tp=

9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

FWIW, I put a nearly-identical striper on our ZTR last year.

I did have the pivot point mounted up on the frame(forward I mean) much further.

My concern is that you'll end up doing the same thing with that thing that I did with mine and that is while zero turning the whole thing deflects to the side and bends the two uprights.

Perhaps mine was too flimsy, I dunno..... I think the steel I used was just as thick as yours but maybe yours will work better.

For the few minutes mine did work, it did stripe very well.

10. dwost

hmmmmmm that is good to know. It's supposed to warm up here today so I may give it a test run. If it looks as if there is any binding at all I'll lengthen the arms. Thanks again for the feedback!